Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
ran into a fellow recently that heated part of his home

useing the heat from his GAS dryer.....

just letting the hose pour into a bucket of water to catch the lint

and keeping the heat, carbon monoxide and steam in the house...in the laundry area....

I mentioined to him it wasnt a very wise idea,

and I was wondering just how dangerous this really was ......

he isnt dead yet.......

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Millions of people have stoves running on gas dumping all combustion products into the house. His biggest problem is the lint. As soon as the flame isn't running properly, then he'll kill his family and maybe himself from CO poisoning. A correctly functioning dryer should produce no more CO than a stove. The operative thing is correctly. Oftentimes, the added moisture will be problematic, too, but not always.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

If he has the hose immersed in the water then he is building up back pressure on the dryer blower. There are commercial units that have a valve and filter in them so that in the winter, the ducting is shut off and the dryer vents into the laundry room to act as a humidifier. No gas fired appliance should vent into the living space under any conditions, however. That is why gas fireplaces have to have a damper that cannot be completely closed. I hope he has a carbon monoxide detector in the room.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Pewterpower said:
Does he drool and mumble alot?

Hey I do that and don't have a dryer. I just have two trees and fishing line for my overalls and sockins.

I guess I really am in bad shape like everyone has been telling me. :(

Dryer heat isn't in the best interest of those living in the home. These are sometimes the same people who drop their oven door down and crank the stove up for heat as well.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Hey, watch it there RUGGED. :0) I have done the oven thing to heat the kitchen. It was in the very distant past, but I have done it. Never did the dryer thing though.

Last edited:

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Wow! That is impressive but still better than all the people who die during every ice storm in NC when they pull their propane grills into the house to heat it. I college we did not pay for any utilities in my apt but they controlled the thermostat and in Fredonia, NY it gets COLD in the winter. So out of desperation, we turned our electric oven to about 400 degrees left it open and used a fan to circulate the air.
It worked pretty good but our Walmart Christmas light solution worked better, and unlike this guys dryer solution, it did not raise humidity levels to make my apt feel like a tropical rain forest.

kenzo42

Reaction score
Cookie said:
Must be a New Englander thing Cass, we also used the stove to heat the kitchen. Grew up like that. I got something really funny to tell you, listen to this folks, lol. I broke a tooth, and thought, geez... my teeth...well, I went to the dentist and found out it broke because my WISDOM tooth is coming in, LOL. I had to have the tooth pulled to make room for the new tooth. Can you believe that?? I am, an ole geezer. I was 1.5 years older than my husband, which makes me 52. I asked the dentist, does that mean I can have children? lol. Odd, but true...

I think your dentist is misinformed. I'm a dentist and there's no way a wisdom tooth's eruptive force can fracture a tooth, less move it. It might have caused decay on the adjacent tooth and the reason causing the extraction, but defniitely not a fracture.

Marc

Reaction score
I once lived in an older apartment building in the northeast that heated half the apartment with the gas stove, it kind of had an extension on the side with a burner. But the stove was properly vented to the outside for the exhaust. In that apartment we also had a device that clipped onto the dryer vent to capture lint and vent the heat into the apartment, but that was electric.

I can't imagine venting a gas burner into the living space for an extended period of time.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cookie said:
Sorry Ken, not to make this an issue here, but, the wisdom tooth was infact the problem. Yes, I had a root canal on this tooth a number of years ago; but, their was not any decay. My line of work, requires that I got a great smile.

I am definitely not a dentist, but I've had root canals. And over a period of years, these teeth have become increasingly brittle, owing to the fact that they are, for all intents and purposes, dead.

By the way, what line of work are you in? TV anchor? Model? Real Estate sales?

Eric

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I think her real name is Katie something. Has to get up really early to get to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks