Does he drool and mumble alot?
ran into a fellow recently that heated part of his home
useing the heat from his GAS dryer.....
just letting the hose pour into a bucket of water to catch the lint
and keeping the heat, carbon monoxide and steam in the house...in the laundry area....
I mentioined to him it wasnt a very wise idea,
and I was wondering just how dangerous this really was ......
he isnt dead yet.......
Millions of people have stoves running on gas dumping all combustion products into the house. His biggest problem is the lint. As soon as the flame isn't running properly, then he'll kill his family and maybe himself from CO poisoning. A correctly functioning dryer should produce no more CO than a stove. The operative thing is correctly. Oftentimes, the added moisture will be problematic, too, but not always.
Important note - I'm not a pro
Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014
If he has the hose immersed in the water then he is building up back pressure on the dryer blower. There are commercial units that have a valve and filter in them so that in the winter, the ducting is shut off and the dryer vents into the laundry room to act as a humidifier. No gas fired appliance should vent into the living space under any conditions, however. That is why gas fireplaces have to have a damper that cannot be completely closed. I hope he has a carbon monoxide detector in the room.
Hey I do that and don't have a dryer. I just have two trees and fishing line for my overalls and sockins.Originally Posted by Pewterpower
I guess I really am in bad shape like everyone has been telling me.
Dryer heat isn't in the best interest of those living in the home. These are sometimes the same people who drop their oven door down and crank the stove up for heat as well.
Read what the end of this sentence means.
Hey, watch it there RUGGED. :0) I have done the oven thing to heat the kitchen. It was in the very distant past, but I have done it. Never did the dryer thing though.
Last edited by Cass; 07-25-2006 at 05:10 AM.
Wow! That is impressive but still better than all the people who die during every ice storm in NC when they pull their propane grills into the house to heat it. I college we did not pay for any utilities in my apt but they controlled the thermostat and in Fredonia, NY it gets COLD in the winter. So out of desperation, we turned our electric oven to about 400 degrees left it open and used a fan to circulate the air.
It worked pretty good but our Walmart Christmas light solution worked better, and unlike this guys dryer solution, it did not raise humidity levels to make my apt feel like a tropical rain forest.
I think your dentist is misinformed. I'm a dentist and there's no way a wisdom tooth's eruptive force can fracture a tooth, less move it. It might have caused decay on the adjacent tooth and the reason causing the extraction, but defniitely not a fracture.Originally Posted by Cookie
I once lived in an older apartment building in the northeast that heated half the apartment with the gas stove, it kind of had an extension on the side with a burner. But the stove was properly vented to the outside for the exhaust. In that apartment we also had a device that clipped onto the dryer vent to capture lint and vent the heat into the apartment, but that was electric.
I can't imagine venting a gas burner into the living space for an extended period of time.
I am definitely not a dentist, but I've had root canals. And over a period of years, these teeth have become increasingly brittle, owing to the fact that they are, for all intents and purposes, dead.Originally Posted by Cookie
By the way, what line of work are you in? TV anchor? Model? Real Estate sales?
I think her real name is Katie something. Has to get up really early to get to work.