Kitchen sink w/ one 'lil basin, one big basin

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
We have tentatively picked out a Karran sink for our remodel. It's the Tuscany model. It is under mount and one basin is smaller than the other.

DSCF0014.jpg

I like it because of its looks. Not a boring same ole two basins side by side typical sink. I figure the smallish basin would be used for vegetable washing, stuff like that. We don't put that much waste down the disposer--'fraid it'll clog old pipes. What else is the smallish basin used for and why do I want it?

Thx,
Jason

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You said it: You picked it because you like the looks. Nothing about a small sink makes any kitchen task easier to do. If you are going for a three-bowl, it makes sense for one of them to be small just to reduce the overall size.

The sink you chose is very nice looking with that single hole faucet. It also shows off your counterrop material very nicely.. SO, this was a very good choice, but it doesn't help the little woman cook better of faster!

Prashster

Reaction score
I have a double sink like that. Aesthetically great, but functionally useless, IMHO. I much prefer a shallow, wide, single tub sink. You can get far more dishes into it, and it doesn't strain yr back to reach in.

Does anyone REALLY put vegetables in a vegetable sink?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
prashster said:
Does anyone REALLY put vegetables in a vegetable sink?

Every time I go to wash any food in my nice, huge, single-basin sink, my wife gets The Look of Terror on her face and, with a keen sense of the obvious says, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

Prashster

Reaction score
Washing vegetables is for pansies. I like my carrots with pesticide. Tastes like parmesan.

Mikey

Reaction score
I dunno, I've heard too many stories about how pesticides make you unattractive to the opposite sex, so I'll keep on washing my veggies (as if that would help). I use Dawn and a scrubbrush on potatoes, which also makes She Who Must Be Obeyed roll her eyes.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lakee911 said:
We have tentatively picked out a Karran sink for our remodel. It's the Tuscany model. It is under mount and one basin is smaller than the other.

DSCF0014.jpg

I like it because of its looks. Not a boring same ole two basins side by side typical sink. I figure the smallish basin would be used for vegetable washing, stuff like that. We don't put that much waste down the disposer--'fraid it'll clog old pipes. What else is the smallish basin used for and why do I want it?

Thx,
Jason
Here are the new generation Kohler double sinks. Pretty nice.
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/newproducts_detail.jsp?section=1&aid=1142519007681

Below url is the double sink I've had for almost two years now. The unusual shape was designed to hold large long handled skillets and it will also hold large stock pots-slow cooker inserts. They are GREAT. If you cook--you "get it" My large calphalon skillet which I use for pancakes measures 22 inches-end to end and it fits in the large sink perfectly for cleaning.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...02&prod_num=3361-1&section=1&category=5&ssm=1

I like the small sink because it's just better for waste/disposal/cleaning use especially if you live alone.
I don't wash vegetables in the small sink either but it's just easier to keep it clean for coffee mugs etc.

Double sink is really a cook thing imo.
example: Large pot of boiling pasta/potatoes in large sink then you have small sink to strain and rinse.

I try to install newer shapes and textures in general if they work well.
I just get tired of looking at the same old appliances.

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mikey said:
I dunno, I've heard too many stories about how pesticides make you unattractive to the opposite sex, so I'll keep on washing my veggies (as if that would help). I use Dawn and a scrubbrush on potatoes, which also makes She Who Must Be Obeyed roll her eyes.

I don't even want to know where you got that idea from Mikey.
:D

I don't wash my veg but if I did I'd use vinegar/water in spray bottle.

Mikey

Reaction score
Hey, dirt is dirt. Dawn does a heck of a job on dirt. I only use it on dirt-rich veggies like potatoes and carrots. Everything else gets an ice-water rinse. I always leave the skins on, so want them to be squeaky clean -- nothing quite like biting down on a grain of dirt in your mashed potatoes.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mikey said:
Hey, dirt is dirt. Dawn does a heck of a job on dirt. I only use it on dirt-rich veggies like potatoes and carrots. Everything else gets an ice-water rinse. I always leave the skins on, so want them to be squeaky clean -- nothing quite like biting down on a grain of dirt in your mashed potatoes.

Hmm. This must be a regional thing Mikey. The brand of taters we get around here seriously just aren't dirty at all. Ice water--interesting...

Prashster

Reaction score
I debur and deoxidize my spuds with emory cloth. Then I flux them before cooking them with my Bernzomatic "El Cheapo".

Prashster

Reaction score
I believe fruits are supposed to be washed in the third, optional "fruit sink" compartment. Washing veggies in the fruit sink or fruits in the veggie sink is a Martha Stewart world (er, we're in a Rachael Ray world now, right?).

Now, which sink do the tomatoes get washed in? Aren't they technically fruits? Why is it called V8?

Sorry, I digress. (I feel like Cookie!) ;)

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
Man, you sure know how to ask the tough questions...

...and the answers are fascinating. Campbell's officially says (on their US V8 site) that V8 is a blend of 8 vegetable juices, and calls it 100% vegetable. Which 8 vegetables, exactly? A great trivia question, and maybe good for winning a beer bet -- er, V8 bet -- in a Vegan bar somewhere. One of them is watercress, believe it or not.

On their UK Web site, however, they call it a blend of fruit and vegetable juices up front, but in the details they revert to "100% vegetable juice", with the same list of 8 "vegetable" juices.

Botanically speaking, the tomato is a fruit because it is a ripened mature ovary containing seed. There is apparently a horticultural rationale for calling it a vegetable, but as in all controversies, the lawyers had the last word: it was classified as a vegetbale in 1893 by the Supreme Court for trade reasons (imposing import taxes to protect growers).
Full disclosure: I condensed a bunch of Googled stuff for the last 2 paragraphs. I may be geeky, but I'm not that good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks