(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stray Cats!!!

Cookie, You call him "Meatball Mike"? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I bet it would work on teenagers cutting through your yard too. I could move it every day or 2 so they could not find it in the dark. I will have to by them in bulk though. I Imagine a few would get smashed. Could be fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    Short time later = cat back.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_Came_Back
    Canyon is inhabited by coyotes = cat gone!

This cat should keep all the other cats and coyotes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    Small grandchildren of Meatball Mike, LOL. (neighbor who hates cats)
    Just curious why you call him "Meatball Mike". I know it's not because he makes a mean marinara sauce. LOL

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    B. But that stuff in the pet stores you spray around to keep cats from spraying places. I know this works, cause we had a cat who once took a liking to the glass block window where, the dryer was vented out of. It was so bad, that we tried everything. It used to run down the glass block.
    So, that's what that was ... I cleaned the basement windows one day only to find this white dried substance splattered all over it the next day! What gives? Makes sense because one night I looked up and saw this cat staring down at me ....scared the snot out of me. Heh

Jason

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gouranga
    Put out a flyer in mailboxes near your home. letting anyone with outdoor cats know that if their animal goes missing they can be picked up at the pound and they can pay a small fee to get them. Then call animal control. They will put out a trap, catch offending felines and cart them away.
    Skip the notice. Less chance of repeat offenders.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Lakee911
    Skip the notice. Less chance of repeat offenders.

That sure sounds like you are willing to chance having someones, (a child maybe) pet euthanized to solve your problem.
    Last edited by Mike50; 07-28-2006 at 03:29 PM.

This community is full of animal lovers. This is always the evacuation challenge during fires such as last week
    Special ranches were designated for all the animals here.

We are also a small rustic community that always tries to solve our personal issues here locally without calling the sherriff or dropping a dime on someone.

If I had a neighbors cat picked up just because he was pissing on someones begonias---well you can believe I would have something much more serious than a cat problem on my hands....
    Last edited by Mike50; 07-29-2006 at 06:38 AM.

All our shelters here in the high desert of SoCal are "NO KILL" and are advertised as such.

We have an abundance of Pitbulls here. Pitbulls are only trained to be mean. Kick em starve em and you will have one vicious beast.

You get what you put into them. Mine are lap dogs and are extremely affectionate albeit fantastic sentrys as well.

Beginning and during the 1980's crack cocaine and gangs (Bloods & Crips primarily) ruled the streets of Los Angeles.

It was a gang status symbol to have snarling Pits in da' hood.
    They bred them as attack dogs to guard inventory & intimidate.
    Prior to 1980 Pits were rare.

In any event these dogs/owners migrated here over 20+ years as folks moved out of LA.
    Now the offspring are all over the desert-near Palm Springs. Adoptions are slow because people are afraid of them as they are misinformed.
    The skittish or abused ones are obviously not adoptable unless you're a pro.

I can appreciate Mike's sentiments on the flyers. I grew up and spent half my life in place just like that.
    But now I'm 1000 miles from there, living in the burbs, in a subdivision. As sad as it sounds, you don't know your neighbors, and for the most part.......don't want to!
    I've been in my house for ten years, and of the 50 closest houses in the neighborhood, I'm in the top 3 for seniority. The few that have been here for awhile, we are close with. We know thier pets, and wouldn't react any other way than what Mike is talking about.

I can't believe this thread is still going!!!

Well, got home yesterday and everyone in the neighborhood got a letter from the city code enforcement officer. Turns out there have been a HUGE amount of complaints to them involving free roaming cats and retards letting their animals use others front yards as toilets.
    I would not be surprised if animal control did not start a round-up soon. I had absolutely nothing to do with it so any guilt I would have had with my neighbors herd of cats is absolved.

Quote Originally Posted by prashster
    I saw a nifty sprinkler at Lee Valley that has a motion sensor on it. When anything gets near it: SPLASH! It was intended for geese, but I bet this 'sprinkler scarecrow' will work on your cats.
    Oh geez, I have to get one of these - does it also work at night? I assume it works with a sensor but does the sensor pick up movement day and night both? We only have a problem with 'critters' at night....

Ok, I also have to tell you guys what we did when we had cats using our front flower bed as a litter box, and not just urine. I had been told that once they start doing that, you can't break them of it, they just keep coming back to the same spot. First, we put in some mulch thinking they wouldn't 'go' if it wasn't dirt - wrong. They went anyway and used the mulch to cover it. Next we tried a repellent that kept everything away but the cats. Third way worked like a charm. We took out all the mulch, then hubby took sheets of plywood, cut them into smaller sections that would fit between the bushes, then spent the better part of an afternoon pounding nails into them. When he was finished, we laid the boards all over the beds, pointed ends up, then covered them with stones. The stones came to just below the tips of the nails, so to look at the beds you wouldn't see anything, but if a cat tried to step in there, it couldn't without getting poked. Never hurt anything but it sure kept the cats out. This worked much better than the Humane Society's advice about setting a trap and catching the cat - we caught a skunk instead. That's a whole 'nother story.....
    Last edited by carolbil; 08-30-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking what cats dont like

Cats dont like the smell of ....mothballs....

the kind you use to preserve clothes......

they will avoid them like the plague....

just go buy a box for 2 bucks and see what happens....

but they do have a tendencey to kill everything around them..