Installing exterior water pipe for hose through basement wall

Users who are viewing this thread

homeowner1

Reaction score
I'd like to install a hose hookup to be able to water my backyard. Currently, there's no water supply going to the back exterior of the house. My basement is unfinished and I can tap into the water lines with ease. I will need to make a hole in the brick wall, however, to run it out to the back yard. My question is whether I have to be concerned with the placement of the hole in the brick wall. I'm assuming all of the brick walls in the basement are the foundation itself and I don't want to weaken the structure.

I would basically be doing what has already been done in the front of the house so I think it's ok. Just looking for any cautions or guidance.

Thanks,
Josh

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most brick is fairly soft, so drillin gthe hole isn't too big of a problem. Depending on where you live, you may want a frostfree sillcock (these come in various depths so that the guts are actually inside the heated building rather than outside). For ease of replacement later on, you probably want to also include an inside full-flow ball valve so you can shut it off. It also can be used to keep people from stealing water, if that is a potential problem. Most come with a vacuum breaker, but if not, it is highly recommended to put an add-on one onto the sillcock you have. This keeps potentially polluted water (say the end is sitting in a puddle or a bucket and the pressure hickups) from getting back into the supply. It could make everyone very sick and while not code everywhere, are highly recommended. You don't want the hole to go through the bottom edgeof the brick, as it is likely you'll crack it, but higher up should not be a big problem.
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

George R

Reaction score
I think you are better off drilling at the bottom corner of the brick, where a horizontal mortar line meets a vertical. The mortar seems softer than the brick and less risk of cracking a brick. You will need a pretty big hole (3/4in or so). You'll need a hammer drill with a large bit. Probably could rent one if you don't own one.

Or you could do it the old fashioned way with a small sledge and a "star drill". You rotate the drill while wacking away at it. It works real well. Star drills are not that expensive. Less than $10.

Strike from outside the house, not inside or you'll bust out a brick.

Ditto what Jim said on the frost-free sillcock.

One final point, measure 3 times before you bust a hole in your brick. Make darn sure you are going to end up in a workable spot in the basement.

Last edited:

Casman

Reaction score
I just wrapped up the same project. The hole is supposed to be drilled angled slightly toward the ground outside, if you intend to allow it to drain. Also for whatever reason, I used a 3/4 inch bit and the frost free spigot I purchased needed a 1 inch hole. I rented the 1 inch bit for $5 bucks. The hole ended up being 1 inch by 13 long, went through like cheese with a hammer drill.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Holes in brick or cinder block are relatively easy to make because the material is soft. I would slant the hole as suggested, but make it a tad larger than the pipe's diameter. After the pipe is installed through the wall, seal the hole with hydralic cement from the inside. The outside may be covered with a plate, or you could use mortar caulk. I like the hydralic cement because it won't leak water, obviously will keep out small critters, and will hold forever. The exterior caulk is cosmetic. The cement does not have to go 100% through the hole, but because the hole is larger than the pipe, it's actually easier to plug than if the hole and pipe fit tightly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks