Changing the Shower Valve Washers

Users who are viewing this thread

hamop

Reaction score
I need to change the washers on the shower valves: How do I get the valves out??

On each faucet there's a nut in front of the tile that gets loosened and the stem unscrews. There's some stem packing inside but the valve will not screw out. Tryed turning it in both directions and neither valve comes out.

Now it just so happened that an inspector from the water company came in to repair the valve at the water meter which could now not be turned back on. He was nice enough to take a look at the shower and thought that the stem(s) should just unscrew and come out to expose the washers. He also thought that there was nothing else to loosen because it appeared to be "sweated" on behind the wall.

Any ideas what's going on here? I've got wrenches, a socket kit and plenty of washers but can't get the stems to come out.

And now the hot water side is clogged & won't work. I suspect that some valve stem packing may be stuck in the line somewhere.

Is it time to call a plumber?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Without a good picture we can't tell you how to do it, and even with a picture we might not have enough information to help you. But, regardless of how the valve is installed, solder, screwed, etc., the stem still comes out the front, once you get the correct process in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks