Bathroom Re-model Layout Advice #2a

Users who are viewing this thread

ralft

Reaction score
I decided to write this post separately instead of further burdening the one which I just wrote and titled Bathroom Re-model Layout Advice #2.
We are remodeling a bathroom and plan on using a piece of furniture as vanity. It will have a wooden top which we are refinishing and will coat with urethane or the like. We will use a painted ceramic fired sink (like a vessel sink) which has no holes for faucets. We will cut the top so that it will be supported by its rim. We are planning on using a wall mounted faucet that is designed for kitchens. We are thinking that we could put an elongated soap dish behind the sink to catch water drips from wet hands using the faucets.
I read on another posting on this same forum from lhparker on 01-30-2005 (Wall mounted lavatory faucest-good,bad,ugly?) about the concerns about wall mounted faucet splashing. To minimize these problems, I will put a globe valve in the water lines which feed the faucets and have them in the wall covered by a simple access panel.
We only have found 2 faucets that we like: Kingston Brass cat. #KS1248PX and Cifial cat. # 267.260.620. The selection is quite limited because we want satin nickel. For the sink drain, I am planning on a lift & turn type but haven't yet found a Mfgr. & pt. #.
Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should do it differently or hardware mfgrs. and sources. Kingston Brass is much cheaper than most faucets; are they considered reliable and of adequate quality?

ralft

Reaction score
Marine varnish finish for vanity top?

Since my last post I received my faucet and sink drain and they are fine. I went with Kingston Brass since it was lots cheaper than any of the others. There weren't that many to choose from in Satin Nickel.
Now I am concerned with what to use for a finish of the wooden top for the cabinet that we chose for the vanity. A paint spe******t suggested a marine varnish. Another suggestion is to go with polyurethane. Is that the same thing? Also, I am aware of using automotive clear coat as an ultimate finish protector.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ralft

Reaction score
Clawfoot tub vendors

For our tub we have decided that we like the double ended style. These are the ones which are rounded on both ends. There don't seem to be many of them out there new or used. We are looking at new ones made in China by Sunrise Specialty.
Does anyone have any experience with them?

D

Dchall_San_Antonio

For your wet conditions I would seriously consider clear polyester boat resin or an epoxy resin for a surface. You can paint it on but don't use brushes you wanted to save.

ralft

Reaction score
Bathroom Remodel Advice #2

I am planning on usingf West System clear epoxy and the brush will be a throwaway item.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks