(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Under Counter Washer and Dryer

Default Under Counter Washer and Dryer

I am remodeling my laundry/mud room and am adding a sink base cabinet next to the washer and dryer. The washer/dryer will both be front loading, so I would like to extend the counter over the units. My question is this; Where do I plumb the on/off valves and drain for the washing machine? Can I plumb the hot/cold supply like a dishwasher in the sink base cabinet and leave the drain behind the unit under the 38" counter top? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

As usual, I'll leave the definitive ruling to the experts, but a 42" standpipe seems to be a common requirement (2" diameter). I just built a "formal" laundry room and used one of those all-in-one in-wall washer thingies with a single-shutoff hot & cold faucet, and a drain. I think I mounted it pretty high up (~ 48") to accomodate the standpipe. My washer & dryer are about that high anyway, so it worked out OK.

I think the standpipe is only at 36" currently. If I were to move it up, I could not put a counter over the top of the machines because I would have no place to route the hoses. I know I have seen pictures of washer/dryers with a counter over the top and no hoses above the counter. I just can't figure out what is an acceptable method of plumbing them under the counter.

a washing machine standpipe under the UPC is 18-30 inches.