Marble entry way

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
How can you get glue from a hardwood floor? Thank you.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the belt sander is the method to remove the adhesive, but there are a couple of problems. First, a belt sander creates a fair amount of dust, and I don't think your lungs will tolerate that. Second, because a belt sander is quite aggressive, it's very easy for it to cut too deep. This will not only cause a ridge or groove that will never go away, but even if the sanding is done carefully, there will be a difference in color between the sanded and unsanded areas.

tobinator

Reaction score
If you want to go the full sanding route, I would only use a drum sander or an edger if it is a small area. Maybe the 12x18 pad sander would work as well. Your can rent them all. Might even have to go to a progression of grits, like36/80/100/150

I'd try all classes of solvents first though, starting with good old hot water. Paint thinnner, methanol (wood alcohol), MEK, maybe even lacquer thinnner or acetone. LOTS of ventilation and protect your lungs, eyes and hands.

I would never use a belt on a floor, too unforgiving. One second of distraction and you've got a bigger problem than glue.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you are prepared to sand the whole contiguous area and refinish, you may not get the 'fix' to look good.

For a neophyte, there's a floor sander made up of 4 disk sanding plates that is much more forgiving than a belt sander and it can get into corners further than a belt sander, too. At the coarser grits, it's pretty agressive but relatively controllable.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
tobinator said:
I would never use a belt on a floor, too unforgiving. One second of distraction and you've got a bigger problem than glue.
I suppose Cookie should try a palm sander or a random orbit sander first, and save the belt sander as a last ditch effort.

Just thought of an alternative approach. Get a floor scraper, or better yet, a wallpaper scraper (with 4 inch razor blade). Try to scrape off as much glue as you can dry. Then pour some "Goo Gone" over the remaining glue and let it sit for a while. Then start scraping again. Goo Gone is a citrus based solvent, so it is not harmful to breathe or to get on your skin. If it doesn't work, you can try other solvents that Tobinator mentioned, but you may still need your scraper. If it's liquid nails, I'm not sure if any solvent will work.

Try sanding as a last resort.

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Goo Gone is great, but its an oil and would probably stain your floor.

Try dry ice and a small scrapper. Cool the glob of 'goo' and it should just pop off with the scraper.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cookie said:
I tried the belt sander when I ripped the marble up, and I actually broke the sander, I think by pushing on it too hard. :(

Did you break the sander or just tear the sanding belt?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Try this:

http://www.liquidnails.com/ViewProductDetails.do?productId=49

and let us know how it works.

Have fun at the airports this week. TSA could make a ton of money confiscating stuff from outbound passengers and selling it back to the incomers. One passenger was quoted in today's paper saying she had thrown away over $1000 worth of Lancome products. Must have been a really important trip or someone with far too much money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks