(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Green slime inside pipe

Default Green slime inside pipe

Well, my wife was complaining about having to drag the hose half way around the house to water the flowers. Thus, I grabbed a big drill bit and drilled for a new spigot. As I was tapping in for the supply, I dryed out the line with a rolled up paper towel and it came out covered with green slime...I have all copper, what is that stuff? Any cause for concern? City water...

The green is most likely just oxidation. It's a natural reaction of copper in the presence of water and oxygen.

I'd be more concerned that you cut into your copper supply with a drill bit. How are you planning to 'tap into' the line? Please don't say 'saddle tee".
    (important note: I'm not a pro)

No, I didn't. I used a 1 inch bit to drill 13 inches through from the outside of the house to the basement,for the frost freespigot. A saddle T, would that have worked? Just kidding. I did however screw up as the threaded 3/4 to 1/2 reducer leaks with a drop every 1/2 hour. Guess I'll have to redo it.

Did you tape the threads? Wrench tighten?
    (important note: I'm not a pro)

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I'd be concerned if the green slime was really slimy. That sounds like more than oxidation, more likely algae of some kind.

I would guess someone was really sloppy with the flux the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by plumber1
    I would guess someone was really sloppy with the flux the first time around.
    Well, I'm unsure if its algae or if the person before me was a sloppy fluxer, it is a real green color so I don't think its algae but is there a fix for either? What is a sloppy fluxer? I did wrench on the connection to the spigot but ended up redoing it and now there is no leaks...