Bathroom Re-model Layout Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

cjt

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the early stages of planning a master bath re-model. We are not really happy with the current layout of our master bath. You can see the layout here. We do not like the protruding tub and would like a more concealed toilet and perhaps a bigger shower. We don't necessarily need the double sinks as the second is rarely used but would like some tall, built-in storage of some sort.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I believe we will inevitably have to move some plumbing. My question is given the plethora of fixtures currently in the room, how easy is it to swap usage of these for different fixtures types i.e. if toilet moves to where tub is can the drain be used for toilet??

Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No the toilet can not use the tub drain.

You could eliminate the tub and install a full size shower with by-pass doors where the existing shower is now. This would free up lots of space for dressing. or a storage area.

You could also leave the toilet where it is and then move the vanity to the right a little.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
In general, I've found it's easiest to ignore all plumbing issues and lay out the bath the way you'd really like it, then see if it's feasible to plumb it into your existing structure.

Having said that, feasibility depends to some extent of the answers to: What's the layout of the plumbing fixtures in the other bath on the left? Are you on a slab? If not, how's the access to the existing DWV system? Is there an attic overhead, or finished floor?

The toilet is the toughest thing to move, usually, so I'd start by leaving it where it is. Build a wall to its right for privacy. If you get rid of the double vanity (you'll be soorrrryy) that will make room for traffic flow to the toilet; the new single vanity could back up against the new toilet wall, and a cabinet could be placed along the wall where the old vanity was.

Coupled with Cass's suggestion to lose the tub, you'd wind up with a symmetric layout, with a large, walk-in shower (maybe a double shower) on the right (as you enter the room), the walk-in toilet area on the left, the vanity area immediately to the left, with storage ahead.

When I remodeled our bath, we gutted the entire room, made cardboard mockups of fixtures and cabinets, and moved them around in the space until we were happy with it. Then we looked into the plumbing, and (happily) were able to make things work.

Prashster

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd do the following:

1) Put a knee wall next to the toilet. You won't see the toilet when walking in, and it'll provide a measure of privacy, and architectural feature, and still keeps things open.

2) Remove your tub. Place wall cabinets or shelving there.

3) You have good space for 2 sinks; don't lose them. You can recenter the vanity without much difficulty; the wall drains can be repositioned.

4) Put in a bigger shower that uses the existing shower drain. Many mfg's make offset shower drains that'll accomodate your existing drain position.

Shower drain is typically 2". Toilet 3-4". Therefore, you can't put toilet on shower drain. Also, Shower drain has trap in floor. Toilet has trap in fixture. Putting shower on toilet drain would require you to cut out the flange and install a trap. Putting toilet on shower would require removing existing trap (double trap = no no).

Your b-room is plenty big. Don't make this harder than it needs to be; throw yr money into some imported tile and a funky steam shower.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
a few ideas, a few questions.

hi cjt,

Full-height storage can hide the toilet tank (completely) and bowl (partially). Looks like the toilet is in the right spot. Even if you fantasize about the ideal situation, without regard to plumbing and cost, its present location is a good place for a toilet. Far away from the rest of the house.:)

More questions.

1.) What are the two little thingies in your drawing next to the toilet? On the wall. I assume they can be moved around too.

2.) What is this "Living Area" your drawing mentions, at the bottom? It appears to be outdoors since you have a window in the bathroom.

3.) Next, to what extent are you willing to fantasize about including the adjacent bathroom in the design discussion? Or, at least the wall?

The starting point is a 48" by 48" deep soaker tub in the corner behind the door. Holds two adults. This allows you to have a walk-in shower facing the door (dotted ellipse) and a dry area (polygon "A").

Another dotted ellipse shows the vanity area. Dotted rectangles are possible places for full-height storage; there are still more options too. I used ellipses just to show areas in general, like traffic areas where you will stand, and not to show walls or structure. That will come later.

David

Last edited:

cjt

Reaction score
The answers are:

1) Those are existing towel bars...easily moved
2) Denoted Living Area is outside
3) I don't think we want to touch the other bath as part of this reno, I can't imagine a scenario where we would gain enough to justify the hassle and sacrifice to the existing bathroom

I do not know the footprint of a corner tub, but is there enough room for the corner tub as you have it in the drawing and an adjacent shower without creating a funny nook between the shower and top wall?

geniescience said:
hi cjt,

Full-height storage can hide the toilet tank (completely) and bowl (partially). Looks like the toilet is in the right spot. Even if you fantasize about the ideal situation, without regard to plumbing and cost, its present location is a good place for a toilet. Far away from the rest of the house.:)

More questions.

1.) What are the two little thingies in your drawing next to the toilet? On the wall. I assume they can be moved around too.

2.) What is this "Living Area" your drawing mentions, at the bottom? It appears to be outdoors since you have a window in the bathroom.

3.) Next, to what extent are you willing to fantasize about including the adjacent bathroom in the design discussion? Or, at least the wall?

The starting point is a 48" by 48" deep soaker tub in the corner behind the door. Holds two adults. This allows you to have a walk-in shower facing the door (dotted ellipse) and a dry area (polygon "A").

Another dotted ellipse shows the vanity area. Dotted rectangles are possible places for full-height storage; there are still more options too. I used ellipses just to show areas in general, like traffic areas where you will stand, and not to show walls or structure. That will come later.

David

Prashster

Reaction score
geniescience said:
Deep corner tub.

Great to look at.
Takes up too much space for how much it gets used (read, rarely).

Custom shower, I agree with.

Also, repositioning the shower drain to be centered with that wall should be a minor operation, should you want a center drain pan.

cjt

Reaction score
The room dimensions are all on the diagram in the original post. The outer dimensions are 7'3 by 13'10. I am not sure what the previus diagram is showing??

Thanks for all the guidance.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
hope i'm clearer this time

cj
the wall that is 13' 10" is the long wall that you see when you look into the room from the entrance.

This same distance (13" 10") is split into two pieces on the facing wall, the one that you cannot see when you are looking into the room frmo the doorway. Please tell me the precise measurements of the piece of wall that goes from behind the door over to the corner where your shower is today. Is it 48"? 47"? 49"?

Your original drawing is fine; it's just not accurate enough for my eyes to know whether you have one inch more or less between the door jamb and the corner.

You can forget this request if you don't want a tub there.:)

david

cjt

Reaction score
ah...I get it now, that is an important dimension. Though, I have been considering making it a pocket door to avoid any intrusion into the room that may limit the design. As of right now, the dimension for the corner to the door is 63".

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Can't be 63". Has to be around 49"

cj
Your drawing linked to in your first post shows the long wall as 13'10", and seven (7') of that is between the door frame and the outside wall. Then the door and frame take up about 33". That leaves about 49". Not 63".

Could be 48' or 50".

David
p.s. the importance is because a deep soaker tub is hard to find that'll fit if less than 49" is available. Some Japanese style tubs will do.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I will say that the 6' tub I put in is nice, but it would have been even nicer if it was 6.5 or 7' long. I'm one of those rare people that prefers a soak in the tub to unwind to a shower, although they happen to save time in our rushed world. after using the 6' tub for several years now, I don't know how I tolerated the standard 5' one for some many years.

cjt

Reaction score
Dimension Correction

You were correct, the positioning of the door was off in the diagram. There is in fact 63" from the inner corner to the door. I have updated the diagram to reflect this. If that is the case, do you think there is room for a corner tub behind where the door is now and a shower beside it in the corner where the bath is currently??

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
time now to fantastize. What do you want?

cjt said:
If that is the case, do you think there is room for a corner tub behind where the door is now and a shower beside it in the corner where the bath is currently??
Yes.

More than ever. The space is not cramped.

You have all options available to you now. Please describe what your ideal is, to you, in terms as vague and airy as possible.

David

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One thing I would do is to not install the typical 2 sink vanity unless you really like that. Lots of newer innovative designs available. If you want it all coordinated then seriously look at suites from Kohler, Hansgrohe and Toto to name three. Toilet-Sink-Tub are same design. Looks great.

Decide if you want either contemporary/retro/modern minimalist and proceed from there-then stick with that idea throughout.

And if you dont know which direction to go then I would look at the Kohler Memoirs suite or Toto's new Soiree suite.
Kohlers newest suite is Escale which is very japanese but not for everyone.

cjt

Reaction score
Like this?

Is this reflective of the design described above?

I am not really that fussy when it comes to the ideal. But, we definitely want a shower and a decent sized jacuzzi tub in the room. The main beef we have now are the funny corners the bathtub creates and the empty spaces between the tub and vaity and between the shower and tub. I think a functional layout is really what we are looking for...good use of space.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks