getting sand in filter

Users who are viewing this thread

djarp

Reaction score
I have a 30 ft shallow well no foot valve or screen at bottom there is check valve prior to pump, everything runs great but I have a cartridge filter in line prior to the water softner. The cartridge filter keeps getting clogged with slime or fine sand stopping all flow. I have a spin down separator or sand filter prior to the pump head but it still does not help. I was told that the filter was too small for the house and to go deeper in the well min 50feet to get cleaner water ????? Can u give me some advice :confused:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a well with no foot valve and no screen, so the suction pipe is down in a casing. How big is the casing? Is it a pipe a couple of inches in diameter, or is it a large tile maybe 2 ft in diameter?

Or is your well just a pipe stuck down in the earth?

Draw a picture of it. The suction pipe is down there and over time sand has been getting into the casing. The well has probably filled up to the point where the sand is at the bottom of the suction pipe. Now you are getting sand into the suction pipe.

You need to get some kind of pump to clean the sand out of the well casing, down several feet below the suction pipe. Then put the suction pipe down the well with a screen, several feet above sand remaining in the well.

djarp

Reaction score
the well is 4 weeks old the casing is 2" gal new and the 1 1/4 pvc inside casing. The 1 1/4 pvc is 2 feet from bottom.
When they drilled the well they used a large pump to pump the well.
:eek:

Im in Florida lots of sand

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks