Fence options

Users who are viewing this thread

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
So pretty soon I am going to have to replace the fence along my back property line. The old one was not maintained by the previous owner and although I have put some good effort to limp it along, i think I got maybe 2 years left in it at most. it is a 6 foot wood privacy fence. It runs the length of my subdivision. So when I replace my part, if I have a choice I would like to match blend it into my neighbors sections. However, mor eimportant to me is that the opposite side is not the easiest to get access to for maintenance. So I am left with a couple options. First of all the "plastic" fences. My problem with them is I have never seen one that was as stable as I know I can make a wood one. Not sure if anyone was any thoughts there.
The other problem I have are the posts. Does anyone make any synthetic material for fence posts? Something that will not rot like the wood. I have not seen anything viable yet (although I have not looked a ton). The last one I built I used standard treated 4x4 posts sunk 2.5 feet into the ground and anchored with a couple bags of concrete. I could to the same thing but I want to fully explore my options first.

Prashster

Reaction score
Vinyl will be plenty sturdy albeit light.

Posts can be 4x4 PT in concrete. There's a vinyl sheath that goes over the post. Although it's sealed, moisture can go up thru the concrete and rot the internal over time.

My neighbor did it in the way I'd do it: hollow stainless steel columns. He filled them with concrete and then sheathed with hollow vinyl column. That thing will kick pt's butt any day of the week.

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
I am liking the stainless columns idea. One thing with this area is we have plenty o' termites. If you leave un protected (or even to an extent protected) wood outside, they will eat it. I will also take a good look at the prestressed concrete. I could replace this fence REAL quickly if it was not for the posts. They are not in good shape at all.
The good news here in NC is that we can put the "Ugly" side facing anyway we want. The reason that is good for me is that, the fence itself is much easier to mend with the good side facing my property. Probably my biggest challenge will be to move all the crap on the back side that my neighbors have let build up against the fence as well as some of their shit that leans against it. I reckon I will give them a few days notice before I do the work so their feelings don't get hurt.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I knew a machinest years ago in Lowell, Mass. that built a pickett fence completly of stainless steel. It took him quite a few years doing it in his spare time. He creased the edges back about 1/2" to give it depth and some strength.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks