Green slime inside pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Casman

Reaction score
Well, my wife was complaining about having to drag the hose half way around the house to water the flowers. Thus, I grabbed a big drill bit and drilled for a new spigot. As I was tapping in for the supply, I dryed out the line with a rolled up paper towel and it came out covered with green slime...I have all copper, what is that stuff? Any cause for concern? City water...

Prashster

Reaction score
The green is most likely just oxidation. It's a natural reaction of copper in the presence of water and oxygen.

I'd be more concerned that you cut into your copper supply with a drill bit. How are you planning to 'tap into' the line? Please don't say 'saddle tee".

Casman

Reaction score
No, I didn't. I used a 1 inch bit to drill 13 inches through from the outside of the house to the basement,for the frost freespigot. A saddle T, would that have worked? Just kidding. I did however screw up as the threaded 3/4 to 1/2 reducer leaks with a drop every 1/2 hour. Guess I'll have to redo it.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'd be concerned if the green slime was really slimy. That sounds like more than oxidation, more likely algae of some kind.

Casman

Reaction score
plumber1 said:
I would guess someone was really sloppy with the flux the first time around.

Well, I'm unsure if its algae or if the person before me was a sloppy fluxer, it is a real green color so I don't think its algae but is there a fix for either? What is a sloppy fluxer? I did wrench on the connection to the spigot but ended up redoing it and now there is no leaks...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks