more questions re: pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

rezlow

Reaction score
I'd like to continue using my pressure tank with its leaky bladder because it will save me $ and it is working completely normally. Providing the tank never runs dry I just don't see why the thing even needs a bladder as long as there is a spec. pressure blanket over the water supply. Anybody out there running like this? I have been going like this for 9 months with no problem. Anyone else out there doing the same thing??

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
That will work as long as you maintain the air pressure, but I would not do it any longer than the time it takes to replace the tank.

The problem is that when water gets to the air side of the bladder, it can become stagnant and allow growth of biological thingies in high concentrations. There will be some small interchange with the water side which will contaminate your potable water supply.

It may work for a while, and the risk is probably not large because cool well water usually retards growth, but I would not do it for long.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with Bob NH. If you have the $$$ and just don't want to spend it your not being wise. If you need to save for it change it as soon as possible. If you have a shallow well it could grow things sooner than later as the water wouldn't be as cold an could have contaminates that a deep well might not have.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman

Sooner or later you will get enough water on top of the bladder that the bladder will seal over the water inlet hole. Water will not be able to get out or in the tank as needed. The pump will rapid cycle for a night or two and then you will have to replace the pump, motor, control box, pressure switch, as well as the tank. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." The bladder is probably worn out from cycling on and off too much already. A little bit more cycling on and off and you will need a new pump. If the bladder has had that much wear, your pump is probably on it's last leg anyway. You can always go back with a much smaller tank, such as a 20 gallon actual size tank, if you also install a Cycle Stop Valve. But if your pump doesn't last much longer, don't blame it on the Cycle Stop Valve, your pump has already been abused from cycling the old fashioned way.

Speedbump

Reaction score
One final problem with what you are doing. The inside of that tank is not painted or coated with anything, so a lot of rusty water is going to be coming from it soon. Next thing might be a pinhole or two popping through the walls.

There are good and bad tanks on the market also, so do a little research before buying another one. You will save yourself a lot of money that way as well as researching the Cycle Stop Valve, Valveman mentioned.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
V

vaplumber

rezlow said:
I'd like to continue using my pressure tank with its leaky bladder because it will save me $ and it is working completely normally. Providing the tank never runs dry I just don't see why the thing even needs a bladder as long as there is a spec. pressure blanket over the water supply. Anybody out there running like this? I have been going like this for 9 months with no problem. Anyone else out there doing the same thing??

Hi to all! I havent been around for a while because of a nice hospital vacation. To answer your question; without anything to separate the air and water, some air is absorbed into the water as it passes through the tank. The old non bladder tanks had a regulator, or air control on the tank, (and a device in the well on some sub pumps), which would allow a small amount of air into the tank each time the pump started. Your bladder tank has no air control of either type on it. Also water entering the bladder on the air only side will not be fully drained as the system cycles, so you have potential for bacteria growth. Also eventually this small tear in the bladder, and it has to be a small one if the tank is still functioning, will eventually open up larger. When this happens your pump is going to start rapid cycling. If it happens when something is in use that you dont really notice the water flow on, such as a load of laundry, a dishwasher, or a lawn sprinkler, your pump may be destroyed before you even notice the cycling. If your pump has several years of use on it, the rapid cycling and the hammering stress may even destroy it immediately, then you'll be buying both a tank and a pump! Not replacing the tank as soon as possible will not save you money. Eventually instead of spending a few hundred dollars on a tank replacement, you will be spending maybe as much as a couple of grand on a pump and tank replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks