Closing basement floor drain permanently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bernard

Reaction score
I am renovating my office in the basement of our 50 year old house. In the process of removing the old carpet I discovered a kind of Ten-test (?) sub-floor about 5/8 " thick and when I removed this sub floor I found that it was supported with strapping underneath because the concrete floor was sloped or graded toward a drain whole in the middle of the floor. This drain has been covered in this way for the last thirty years.....there is no apparent water evidence in the area but over the years the subfloor did sag in locations between the strapping near the centre of the floor where the drain is located. This is not the only floor drain in the basement there is one also in the Laundry-Furnace room where the sinks are located. In my office-room I want to close that newly discovered drain permanently and level the concrete floor so that I can eventually install a underpad for a carpet and a wall to wall carpet.............Please comment on the feasibility or practicality of what I am proposing to do.

I am assuming that this drain pipe is a gravity drain into the ground outside the house as is the one in the laundry room. Our area has no storm sewers just sanitary sewers and the house has no sump hole or sump pump. Basement has always been dry.....So I am thinking of blocking the drain in my office floor with that expanding polyeurothene then using concrete to cover over the drain opening so that by adding concrete into the graded portion of the floor I can make the whole floor in the room level and ready to accept the carpet underpad and the carpet........

QUESTIONS: Will this work ? Will I create other problems if I block this drain?
Any suggestions of what kind of concrete or other materials to make floor level?

I am in Toronto Mississauga so there are lots of Ronas and Home Depots in the area.

Bernard

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
To close it I would get some water stop concrete. Follow it up with a few thin layers of vinyl flooring patch (I know it’s the bag with the red label at lows in the flooring department). If you use a 4 foot level to find the low spots and fill with the vinyl patch you’ll be good to go.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Armstrong makes the self-leveling underlayment material HJ speaks of and it works quite well and is cheap. Mix it in a 5 gallon bucket, pour it on, and leave it alone. In a few minutes it will have spread itself smooth and level over the floor. I use a long shaft paint mixer in a 3/8" drill to mix it.

landsbergfan

Reaction score
Bumping this up...I haven't found a good video or walk through on this process. I have seen a lot of references to "stuffing the floor drain" and had a guy I trust at a local home improvement store tell me to shove a bunch of newspaper down the drain and then cover with cement.

I am asking about the risks of doing this because I don't want concrete going into my drain. Should I use one of those test plugs? Really hoped to find some resource to explain it more before trying this myself.

landsbergfan

Reaction score
I certainly don't plan on it. Is it okay to cover those plugs in concrete? I am most concerned about closing off the floor drain without any harm to the rest of my plumbing system. Like I said, I don't see an issue with stuffing the pipe, I just figured I would be able to find a video or walkthrough of it somewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks