Insured Plumbers Vs Jacklegs

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
and whats this got to do with getting T-boned??

Business owners should pay attention to customer service and financial disputes, adding arbitration or mediation clauses in contracts to resolve disputes before they ever become lawsuits.

You do what you got to do.....as far as arbirtarion,

I suppose the Umbrella policy does all the "arbritation"

for me.......

that is what you buy the insurance for in the first place,

dont you think??

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What about when a big accident happens and your insurance company uses twisted logic to claim that its not covered in your policy. Then you have to pay lawyers huge fees and go after your insurance company or go bankrupt. Its a terrible situation my father hapens to be in.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
and whats this got to do with getting T-boned?? ??

I wondered the same thing mark.

I think I can stop all lawsuits before they even happen, and I can make Sylvia Brown look like a hot latino lover!!! Oooooo hoochie mama come to papa bring me sum of dat shuu-gaaaaaah. Uh-huh

Sorry to hear of your accident; just hope that the people that got hit aren't ambulance chasers. They might be a decent folk but their lawyer might get frisky seeing opportunity with the sign on the side of the truck.

It's unfortunate but that's how the ball is played, the risk we take.

This is where you need to start charging premium "access" fees to your customers for hardship.

Keep it under $10, people you don't like, $40 to cover your anticipated cost increase for insurance premiums regarding the accident.

How old is your dad and is he doing okay?

Make the van disappear, don't bring it back to the shop; somebody will hop in it and say they hurt their back while it's parked in your driveway. :eek:

Happens all the time on the metro......

Last edited:

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
Thats what the arbitration is for

I think Master Plumber Mark gave an excellent example of why this is not always possible. What do you do when some guy smashes his head as a result of something you aren't responsible for then trys to get a million bucks out of you?

Thats exactly what the arbitration process prevents. If you lose in arbitration then your insurance kicks in. But having arbitration in the contract prior to using your insurance usually prevents the nuts from trying to get money from you in the first place if the cause of the problem has nothing to do with you. The arbitrator makes the decision as to whether or not your case moves to the insurance phase.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Car insurance is one of those things you can't or shouldn't cut corners on. Go with the best companies only. This is one thing you surely, get what you pay for. Go with the ones that have been around for years and years and they have a good track record.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
But I've never known anyone who sued their plumber.

Coach, Its not all that rare that a plumber gets sued! Have you ever heard of a plumber having a little accident with his torch and burning down a building? Have you ever heard of a house having a plumbing leak and then having a mold problem? Have you ever heard of polybutylene tubing? Have you ever heard of Kitec?

In the cases of polybutylene and kitec these were class action lawsuits that not only did they go after the company that made the defective product but they also went after the installing plumbers!

Plumbers do get sued and the cost of their liability insurance is passed onto you the customer as part of their overhead costs. I haven't had the pleasure of being sued yet but it can and will happen one day I'm sure. That is why I'm insured.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
read all the posts here in this thread

What about when a big accident happens and your insurance company uses twisted logic to claim that its not covered in your policy. Then you have to pay lawyers huge fees and go after your insurance company or go bankrupt. Its a terrible situation my father hapens to be in.

You sound pretty bitter, and I can understand why
I know of a few companies that had to go under
not because of the lawsuit,

but becasue of the bills racked up
defending themselves in court....

I have a personal umbrella on my house and home and cars.....
that is what the umbrella is for.....in case some kid cuts across
my property and falls hurts himself....in the creek...

It only cost me an extra 150 per year for my personal
well being...

We have a umbrella on the business .....

to keep me from being sued in frivilious litigation
and having to be at the mercy of your own LAWYERS bills....

perhaps the Umbrella is a waste of money......

I suppose....
untill the day you wished you had
the thing in place...

you cant get cancer and then go out and try to
buy life insurance either.....

I just pay it and move on...

Last edited:

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
point of arbitration before the lawsuit

The umbrella policy does not kick in until you have exhausted all of your other insurance. Even if you buy the top-of-the-line personal liability umbrella policy, you can't protect yourself against every possible claim or lawsuit. There will be exclusions in the umbrella policy, just as there are exclusions in every insurance policy.

Typically, the umbrella won't cover claims arising out of a business endeavor. If you own a business — even a small one — you'll need to buy a business insurance policy to be covered against liability claims.

Your umbrella policy won't necessarily pay for punitive damages. Depending on the law in your state, the umbrella policy won't necessarily pay for punitive damages, either. These damages, above and beyond any actual monetary losses, are awarded to punish wrongdoers for their conduct and may not be covered by any insurance policy. Also, as a general rule, the umbrella policy won't cover your intentional acts that cause damage, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Not saying an umbrella policy is bad. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Coach, Its not all that rare that a plumber gets sued! Have you ever heard of a plumber having a little accident with his torch and burning down a building? Have you ever heard of a house having a plumbing leak and then having a mold problem? Have you ever heard of polybutylene tubing? Have you ever heard of Kitec?

In the cases of polybutylene and kitec these were class action lawsuits that not only did they go after the company that made the defective product but they also went after the installing plumbers!

Plumbers do get sued and the cost of their liability insurance is passed onto you the customer as part of their overhead costs. I haven't had the pleasure of being sued yet but it can and will happen one day I'm sure. That is why I'm insured.

Had a customer threaten to sue me just a few months ago when a macerating toilet I replaced backed up a week later and leaked onto the ceiling below.
It was a Sani flush..his jaw dropped when I pulled out bottle caps from the beer he'd served at a party the night before.
He'd been intimating I'd done something wrong to that point.
I'd warned him he should pay extra and have a drain installed for a regular toilet prior to changing the existing macerating toilet the week before.

Nate R

Reaction score
Had a customer threaten to sue me just a few months ago when a macerating toilet I replaced backed up a week later and leaked onto the ceiling below.
It was a Sani flush..his jaw dropped when I pulled out bottle caps from the beer he'd served at a party the night before.
He'd been intimating I'd done something wrong to that point.
I'd warned him he should pay extra and have a drain installed for a regular toilet prior to changing the existing macerating toilet the week before.

So he had a macerating toilet on the 2nd floor? Why would anyone install that over a regular toilet to start with?

Construct30

Reaction score
Let me put a new perspective on this thread. It all doesn't matter. Last week I was happy discussing code and thought I had all the right insurances. I've been married 25 years to my soul mate. Last Thursday I took her to the doctor for a lump we found. Friday she had a mammogram and ultra sound, Friday night the doctor called and said she needed to see a surgeon. Tuesday we saw the surgeon, he said surgery on Wednesday, got home the car broke down in the driveway. Wednesday she had the lump removed the surgeon told me it was cancer and she needed more surgery next Tuesday to see how bad it is, I went in the room and had to tell her, then I had to tell my three kids one boy 23 lives in Akron, The girl 18 is away at college and my youngest 17 at home. My wife is at home doing good physically. Today I took my work van to get it inspected and it broke down in the mechanics drive way, it will cost more than it's worth to fix. I would give anything I have or ever will have to change this past week and to keep my wife at least 25 more years.

Cookie

Reaction score
Watch what you wish for you just might get it! Times have changed so much in regards to treating the big C. You wouldn't believe it. I have been challenged by the big C, five times. Yes, enough of times to choke a horse, but, I am here to bother all you plumbers with my stupid questions, and comments. So, watch what you wish for, because you 2 will probably be spending yet, another 25 years together! I have alittle something to do with the American Cancer Society, lol. and I am telling ya, so many people are walking the walk, then running, and moving on and living a long time. It is not a death sentence. I can't repeat that enough. I have a different kind of cancer, so, mine was alittle harder to put into check, but, I did it. I think your wife is lucky to have you. You sound so supportive, and so loving, that just those 2 things alone, will raise her prognosis. Being positive really counts with this illness. Maybe, infact, with all illnesses. Nothing can beat a good positive mental outlook. Please trust me when I say, she will be fine, you both will be fine and will work it out, and by the way, I am sorry it did happen, it changes things, doesn't it? It is hard. God bless.

I think there is a website and a book which your wife would benefit from. http://www.whyiworelipstick.com/

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
So he had a macerating toilet on the 2nd floor? Why would anyone install that over a regular toilet to start with?

I am baffled at how or why the inspector allowed it.
He's on the ground floor with concrete slab below..the amount of work to run a new 3" drain would be drastic...but he'd have peace of mind.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Let me put a new perspective on this thread. It all doesn't matter. Last week I was happy discussing code and thought I had all the right insurances. I've been married 25 years to my soul mate. Last Thursday I took her to the doctor for a lump we found. Friday she had a mammogram and ultra sound, Friday night the doctor called and said she needed to see a surgeon. Tuesday we saw the surgeon, he said surgery on Wednesday, got home the car broke down in the driveway. Wednesday she had the lump removed the surgeon told me it was cancer and she needed more surgery next Tuesday to see how bad it is, I went in the room and had to tell her, then I had to tell my three kids one boy 23 lives in Akron, The girl 18 is away at college and my youngest 17 at home. My wife is at home doing good physically. Today I took my work van to get it inspected and it broke down in the mechanics drive way, it will cost more than it's worth to fix. I would give anything I have or ever will have to change this past week and to keep my wife at least 25 more years.

Construct...your in my prayers buddy.

Nate R

Reaction score
I am baffled at how or why the inspector allowed it.
He's on the ground floor with concrete slab below..the amount of work to run a new 3" drain would be drastic...but he'd have peace of mind.

But I thought you said it overflowed onto the ceiling below? How could that be if he's on the ground floor with a slab?

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Don't lose hope, buddy - what Cookie said is true - cancer's not a death sentence.

I have a client who'se been living with cancer (it goes away... it comes back...) for twelve years, now.

My brother in law's mother, was given 4 months to live - in 1968 - not only is she still walking around, she's an avid sea-kayaker at 78 years old!

My dad had prostrate cancer, he lived another 14 years; and when he did die, it was something completely unrelated.

Cookie

Reaction score
Frenchie, even when I am wrong I am right. lol. But, this I know I am right about. You got to get a certain mindset with it, you got to. You got to be positive. I am and have been told all my life, I am head-strong. That is the attitude one must have. I am woman. :D Hear me roar! Think of it only as a pimple on your arse that is all the energy you should give to it. Devote the rest of your energy into living.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score

Don't give up yet. A good friend of mine was diagnosed with the Big C about 16 years ago. She's still alive and kicking, and is an enthusiastic advocate and supporter for cancer patients and survivors; a truly remarkable lady. You can read her story here: http://www.yana.org/hetrick/ibc001.htm

There are also references to other Web articles she wrote, and she will be happy to correspond with you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks