Broken pipe at threads-how do I remove it?

Users who are viewing this thread

timo

Reaction score
When replacing a shower head, the shower arm snapped off behind our tile shower wall, right where the shower arm threads onto another pipe. How do I remove the threaded piece from the broken shower arm that's threaded into the pipe in the wall? There's no "edge" past the threads to grab to unscrew this broken threaded "chunk." Suggestions would be great!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If that shower riser is secured well inside the wall you can take a hack saw blade and put a little tape on the part that you will hold in your hand.

I would have the saw blade turned so that it will cut when you pull. Carefully cut the broken piece and don't cut into the elbow very much. Make one cut at 5 o'clock and another at 7 o'clock. With a thin narrow screw driver, tap it between the threads.

With patients you will get it out. Go at it slowly.

Tape dope it well and you will be just fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Or, you could use one of these internal pipe wrenches...less than $10.

Attachments

• Internal pipe wrench.jpg
    Internal pipe wrench.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,571

timo

Reaction score
Thanks Much!

These are both great ideas--can't thank you guys enough. I've stared at this thing for 2 days trying to figure out how to get that piece out. I really appreciate it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Be careful with the internal pipe wrench. The peice in the wall may be very thin and you could end up ruining the threads with it.

timo

Reaction score
Good thinking. Hard water is the whole reason I was replacing this shower head. (Our other bath had a "flood" and I was gutting it slowly) This was the only working shower and the head wasn't flowing well due to calcium...I go to replace it, and snap. I'll break out the tiles, then try cutting it first. The pipes are fragile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks