(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caroma Dual Flush watersense toilet review & pictues

There must be other factors as 3.5 probably isn't going to get it to the street on a long run anyway.

The showers / tub, kitchen sink and laundry water will.

I live in an area where there are plenty of 6, 5, and 4" clay lines and there are no problems with low volume toilets clogging the lines unless they were installed wrong, roots or broken.

Wink Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Ow,ow,ouch!

Gotta love those Aussies. Hardly any water in the bowl. How weird!

I now line the bowl with about 9 squares of T.P.(3 vertical rows of 3 squares each-covering the hole and sides), and haven't had to clean since (maybe I just have good targeting powers).

I love the way the low flush only takes about 15 seconds for the water noise to stop (about 30 seconds for full flush). However, I need to be a little more forceful when pressing the low flush button, so that it goes down far enough to flush properly, although I'm used to it now (height of flush buttons can also be adjusted with a screwdriver, from inside the tank, if needed).

Also, I found the regular seat very uncomfortable (it also didn't sit flat on the bowl, on the front underside feet; unless I loosened the wingnuts fully). Either way, it's the worst seat I've ever used and can't believe it's not flatter! Ouch!!

I got tired of having the oddly angled edges of the seat dig into my legs (causing red lines), and simply changed to a flat oak seat. No more pain now!

Other than occasionally not pushing the low flush button, far enough down, (causing no paper to be flushed-even the installer failed to push it down far enough, at first), the awful seat and the extra lining of the bowl with T.P., I have no other complaints.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

We've had our Caroma for over a year now and have sporadically had problems with the valve not seating after both half- and full-flushes. We have jiggled the innards to try to realign them and end up most times removing the tank lid and pushing the center piece down so the valve seats. Sometimes the problem will resolve itself, for a while, then reoccur. At one point we sprayed vegetable oil on the sliding mechanisms and that worked for a while, but then mold grew on the plastic parts. No one else seems to have this problem. What is the solution?
    M. Wall

Inside the Caroma Sydney tank
    Last edited by Terry; 10-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Hi Terry,
    I have a question about purchasing a new toilet. Our existing toilet constantly needs plunging. Our daughters BM is rather large in diameter and doesn't seem to go down. I'm tossed between the Toto drake, Gerber ultra flush, and the Kohler cemmaron. The toilet that I want to replace is on the second floor of our home and I'm not sure what model I currently have. Probably just your basic toilet from when they built the home. I would like a toilet that would never need plunging again. I went to a Toto distributor and watched how the G-Max system works. I'm wondering if it has enough power to suck down my daughters BM. What are your thoughts? Does it make a difference if the BM is larger than the trap?
    Please help, I'm tired of plunging! Although, I have become quite good at it, It is getting old.
    Thank you,
    Catherine
    March 24 2008

For your daughter, I would get a Caroma
    www.caromausa.com

The Kohler would be worthless, and the Gerber and the Toto better.
    But for larger than normal, go with Caroma.
    www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

Terry,
    Thank you for the recommendation. I purchased the Caroma and we are very pleased. I have not had to plunge since.

Thank you,
    Catherine
    June 22 2008

I got a new Caroma 305 with dual flush from the water company here in San Antonio,Tx. I was wondering if there was any way to increase the water level in the bowl. I am disappointed in the #2 flush and have to use my toilet brush quite often.
    Thanks,
    Patty

Last edited by Terry; 01-22-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Buy a different toilet! No, unless the thing is not working right, the bowl is overfilled....it has an opening behind you can't see that drains any water above the maximum down the drain. If you pour a bucket of water in the bowl (pour it too fast and it will flush), then let it sit, that's the maximum level it can get.

Many dual flush bowls, like the Caroma, Kohler Persuade, and the Toto Aquia have little water in the bowl. That's the nature of them. The Caroma glaze seems a bit rough though, Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 06-24-2008 at 05:45 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Does anyone have an opinion about which is a better toilet - the Toto Aquia or the Caroma Caravell?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Aquia is better.

Default Caroma Sydney 270 Easy Height or Aquila III

I am torn. I can get the Toto Aquilla locally, but have to have the Caroma shipped in.

My wishes/needs are:
    - ADA height (17-18") for easy elderly access
    - Bisque (or Biscuit) color
    - Dual Flush
    - Does not require cleaning after every BM.
    - Less likely to clog.

My research leads me to the Sydney 270, but am not sure about the "cleaning after BM" issues with it compared to the Aquilla.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

If your BM is excessively large go with the Caroma. Its trap way is large enough to not clog.

Like one of my customers said...WoW I can cancel my trash pick up and flush every thing down this toilet...

Last edited by Terry; 10-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Hi Terry,
    Which Aquia are referring to? On your order site your pull down menu for the Aquias has the Aquia II as an option. What are the differences between the two? Thanks...

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Aquia CST414M has the larger adapter, and a bit better MaP score. Also takes a little more time to install than the CST416M and the CST464MF

Other than that, they work pretty much the same, the CST464MF has the taller bowl at 16-1/8"

The other two are 15-1/8"

We recently bought the Caroma Sydney 2 pcs. (Tank 622322W, Bowl 609159W). After we installed the toilet, we encountered problems with the flush. As you can see in my video http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-1855798188535347905 from the internet, with every flush the water will splash up everywhere on the seat and cover. When there is a number 2, there are shit droplets on the seat, very disgusting.

We contacted the company with no response. Could you tell me how to fix my problem?

cslee

Quote Originally Posted by Reader Review View Post
    We recently bought the Caroma Sydney 2 pcs. (Tank 622322W, Bowl 609159W). After we installed the toilet, we encountered problems with the flush. As you can see in my video http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-1855798188535347905 from the internet, with every flush the water will splash up everywhere on the seat and cover. When there is a number 2, there are shit droplets on the seat, very disgusting.

We contacted the company with no response. Could you tell me how to fix my problem?

cslee
    I've looked at a few Caroma videos on YouTube and they all look like they do the same. All the water dumps from the rim, none of it below the water surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Probedude View Post
    I've looked at a few Caroma videos on YouTube and they all look like they do the same. All the water dumps from the rim, none of it below the water surface.
    I bet 2 of thoes videos were mine