How to drain Utility Sink in Garage?

Users who are viewing this thread

guymenton

Reaction score
I want to put a utility sink in the garage so my mom can wash her dogs. I was thinking I can put T-valves on the water conection to the washing machine. Now about the drain ... the washing machine drain hose goes up and sits in this open pipe coming out of the wall 3.5' off the floor...it's sticks out at an angle. How do I connect the drain from the utility sink to this pipe? Much thanks for any advice. :)

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

It cannot be connected to that pipe.
Assuming existing plumbing is correct....
It will need to be connected to the drainage pipe inside the wall, which can be up to 5' away from where the standpipe is (the pipe you see is the washer standpipe). You may be able to cut in a santee on the washer vent, above the santee for the washer trap and standpipe--this is wet venting, it is not legal in every local and has some very specific rules. The utility sink will need to be trapped, but the vent for the washer is also the vent for the utility sink. As long as you have to open the wall for the drainage, you might want to tee off the water lines in the wall and run this right.
Deb
The Pipewench

guymenton

Reaction score
Thanks!

Hi Deb,
I really appreciate your advice. I'm just an average DIY person, and this sounds beyond my ability.

I attached a pic of where I want the sink to go, between washer and water heater. A foot off the floor is a plug with a square fitting (I think its called a cleanout plug?). My last question is, can I connect the sink drain to this fitting? Thanks again for any feedback.

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 871
  • cleanoutplug.jpg
    cleanoutplug.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 811

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

No, you cannot connect to the cleanout fitting. You are going to have to cut the wall open.
Deb
The Pipewench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks