Bathroom additions

Users who are viewing this thread

Dustin07

Reaction score
Website
www.tca-inc.net
What is the average cost of building a complete bathroom these days? I'm planning a two-story add-on and trying to figure out if I want to put in a bathroom. I'm pretty sure I do. The house is currently only 1 bedroom 1 bath, and I think I'm going to add 2 beds and 1 bath. Just wondering how much the bathroom alone will probably run.

I know there are lots of variables, but if you can throw out some averages that would be great. It won't be anything fancy. Probably a bath/shower combo.

Also, what size/measurements should I account for when drawing it up? What is average/comfortable?

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
Honestly, I cant see a reason not to add another bathroom if you're doing a complete story add on. My basement bathroom add-on is about 2000 bucks total, and it's about a 6'X6' deal. I am not adding a shower however, but am reserving the right to add one in a few years, if I see the need for it. I'm sure it would cost you more than that because you are going to be using more stuff.

Prashster

Reaction score
Are you on septic or sewer? If septic, check if it can support another b-room.

Putting in a bathroom on a 1st or 2nd floor is going to be a lot cheaper than doing it in the basement even, since a basement b-room would likely require cement work.

The majority of the cost in a 1 or 2 floor bathroom is going to be in the finishing (tiles, fixtures, flooring) not in the rough work.

johnapril

Reaction score
Bathrooms are costly if you don't do it right the first time. Make sure you pressure test the waterworks and waterproof the layer before the tile.

I spent $5K on a gut and replace job I did myself two years back. That room was 7 x 6 feet. If I were building I would make the bathroom a little bigger than that and build in ways for natural light to come in, perhaps skylights.

OldHouse

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks