(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Dishwasher overflow in sink came apart...

Hybrid View

Default Dishwasher overflow in sink came apart...

the dishwasher overflow in the sink that connects to the disposal came apart when i was cleaning it. the green nozzle is just hanging under the sink now and the plastic/chrome cover is completely off.

do i just use plumber's putty to reattach it? if so, how do i seal it from the bottom?

thanks!

You may need to buy a new one, because the reason it is hanging under the sink could be that the top flange nut cracked or stripped. Anyway, whether it is the new one or old one, they come with a foam gasket to seal, but I would use some putty or silicone as well. Don't run the diswasher while it is hanging down!

Default flange nut?

ok, what does the top flange nut look like?

Turn the chrome cover over , you should see some threads right there at the bottom. That would be the nut.

If we're talking about the air gap, and I think we are, they are rarely ever used anymore. You can just get rid of it altogether and buy a metal plug for the hole in your sink.

First, though, you must disconnect both rubber hoses from the plastic part of the air gap (the part dangling under your sink) and connect these hoses together using a hose connector and two hose clamps.

Now you can create your own air gap by raising this single hose as high as it will go and securing it in this position using a piece of wire or a couple twist-ties. Just find something under your sink to tie the hose to in this elevated position.

The reason you need an air gap with a dishwasher is to prevent waste water from your garbage disposer getting into your nice clean dishwasher.

But, as I mentioned, the above-sink airgap has been replaced by the below-sink method I just outlined.

Eric
    Last edited by Verdeboy; 07-12-2006 at 10:38 PM.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by Verdeboy
    If we're talking about the air gap, and I think we are, they are rarely ever used anymore. You can just get rid of it altogether and buy a metal plug for the hole in your sink.

First, though, you must disconnect both rubber hoses from the plastic part of the air gap (the part dangling under your sink) and connect these hoses together using a hose connector and two hose clamps.

Now you can create your own air gap by raising this single hose as high as it will go and securing it in this position using a piece of wire or a couple twist-ties. Just find something under your sink to tie the hose to in this elevated position.

The reason you need an air gap with a dishwasher is to prevent waste water from your garbage disposer getting into your nice clean dishwasher.

But, as I mentioned, the above-sink airgap has been replaced by the below-sink method I just outlined.

Eric
    Bad advice on many fronts. In some states they are enforced to protect from the reversal of contaminates into a device that produces sterile goods for the consumption of food.

There's a reason it was installed to begin with. Removing devices intended to protect human life is ignorance.

High looping never protects from the reversal of flow; water/fluids follow the path of least resistance and the clogged sink will backflow to the dishwasher before it ever spills over the flood level rim of the sink.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.