Flange Too Close To the Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just installed a brand new toilet in a bathroom that has been remodeled. I installed the bowl using two wax rings, because a layer of new tile caused the flange to be slightly lower than it used to be. This trick seemed to work, as the floor bolts tightened up nicely, as the toilet squished down on the wax. When I went to install the tank, however, the holes did not line up, because the tank was hitting the back wall and needed another 3/4" of space.

I loosened the toilet floor bolts and literally dragged the toilet forward until the tank and bowl holes lined up properly, and then I installed the tank. When I went to tighten the floor bolts, one of them tightened up good, but the other one pulled through the flange. There's no leaks, and the toilet doesn't rock at all.

I've used flange repair kits when the flange is broken, but this flange is not broken--just needs to be moved forward a bit. What do you all recommend?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can try remounting the toilet on the flange and pulling it forward a bit B4 tightning the flange bolts. You will also see why the bolt came off the flange. Mark the floor in the back of the toilet bowl with a pencil so you can tell if you are forward of where the toilet was last mounted.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

Flanges cannot be "moved forward a little". The bolts normally cannot pull through the flange unless it is damaged. If the flange has elongated slots you can place the bolts where you need them, then secure them with additional nuts and washers against the flange before setting the toilet.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
hj said:
Flanges cannot be "moved forward a little". The bolts normally cannot pull through the flange unless it is damaged. If the flange has elongated slots you can place the bolts where you need them, then secure them with additional nuts and washers against the flange before setting the toilet.

I'm sure that if you bust up the floor and repipe the drain or use an offset flange it can be done. But I like the idea of securing the bolts tightly down on the flange with separate nuts and washers at a position on the flange where the tank has enough room. Serves me right for not installing the tank first and then doing a dry run without wax or bolts! :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks