Trying to replace shower faucet...

Users who are viewing this thread

timmyers15

Reaction score
Hi. I am remodeling my tub surround. I have a single lever faucet with a diverter through the escutcheon plate itself (NOT on top of the spout).

My question is this- If I wanted to replace the handle/plate/spout with a set that has the diverter built into the spout, would I have to do anything special with the existing diverter mechanism? Would everything in the wall have to be ripped out and replaced, or is there a may to simply remove the current diverter somehow and leave the current mechanism/valve "as is" inside the wall?

Sorry for the probably dumb question, but I've never worked with diverters before.

Thanks!

Tim

timmyers15

Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thought. I realy don't want to replace the valve. Wasn't sure if there was some "trick" to possibly do it.

Is there anything I should be aware of if I buy a new faucet handle and plate to install in the existing valve in the wall? Is it wrong to presume that if my existing/old single-handle faucet is a Delta, a new single-handle Delta faucet should fit the existing valve (both with a push-button diverter?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

As long as it is the same model, since some of the newer ones have a larger center hole in them. You also have to insure that the bolt holes are oriented properly.

timmyers15

Reaction score
bolt holes in plate

hj said:
You also have to insure that the bolt holes are oriented properly.

Do the bolts for the bolt holes go into brackets that fit around the valve? From what I've seen from pictures online, the holes in the newer Delta plates do not align with the ones in my old plate. I was hoping that new brackets to fit around the valve would solve this (at least from what I can see in the installation documents). Any thoughts?

Thanks- Tim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks