Sound proof interior doors

Users who are viewing this thread

johnapril

Reaction score
We are turning an exterior porch into an interior space. One thing we would like is to put French doors in the bedroom opening onto the new space. We would like these doors to block the sound from the rest of the house, however, obviously so that anyone sleeping would not be disturbed. Does anyone know about French doors that block sound? How well do they work? Right now we have 40-year-old sliding glass doors (dual glazed) in that space but every sound travels right through them.

Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Double glazed glass panels provide excellent sound isolation, compared to single glazing. Probably do not compare to a solid door. Doors with excellent vinyl weatherstrip on all 4 edges will help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
door

One thing you have to consider if you are trying to make the room "soundproof". The heating system requires a means of circulating the air, which is usually the space under the door. If you are sealing the door, then the room has to have its own return air duct work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just an actual solid door may have some resonances and transmit sounds in certain frequencies. It is important to seal all gaps. If you have ever been to a well-designed music practice room, it is nearly impossible to hear them outside. The doors have a retractable sweep that drops when the door is closed, and while it looks like a solid door, is actually a sandwich of various materials to absorb sound. If you want to go that far, you'll probably have to search out for a specialty supplier.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Masonite molded panel doors are very attractive, inexpensive, and are available in the "Safe and Sound" series solid interior doors. These are very good.

Sound proof is a relative term. We know you are starting with an exterior wall, so presumably it has some insulation. We don't know if you are planning to have a Hooter's convention in the other room, and expect that sound not to travel.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I helped a friend sound proof a movie room once and we used rock wool. When we were done I could scream at the top of my lungs and outside the room you could barely hear anything. Great stuff that rock wool.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Masonite doors - caution

I bought 10 Masonite interior doors for our remodel at home. The doors were mostly OK, but the millwork associated with their prehung package was crap. Hinge mortises look like they were done freehand, lockset setbacks varied by up to 1/4", hinge screws were self-drilled at varied angles, some jambs were split following the insertion of the middle hinge screw, and in one case the jamb was simply not wide enough to contain the door at the top end. I had to fix all that, and would have been better off buying the door slabs and making my own jambs. Quality might be dependent on the factory -- these all came out of Tampa, I think.

johnapril

Reaction score
Folks, thank you for all your suggestions. My contractor has proposed a solution that I will post in detail once he and I go over it on paper. For now I will say it involves a 1-3/4" 20-minute fire door. When the door shuts, a "button" at the bottom of the door will activate a seal for the gap between the bottom of the door and the floor. I think he plans a couple other modifications. Also, the insulation in the walls (which are already insulated) will be upgraded. All experiences and comments with such tactics are welcome. No Hooters conventions. Just the desire to keep the bedroom quiet from kitchen/TV/4-year-old son sounds going on in the rooms adjacent.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can afford the thicker wall, a second layer of drywall, hung with noise isolation clips can help. Sometimes they get a little lax about the amount of screws for the drywall, too. You don't want the panel to be loose at all - makes a big drumhead. Basically, no voids anywhere. Any holes - outlets, switches (electrical boxes) that penetrate the wall offer a conduit for noise to enter the room. Particular attension to this can help, too.

johnapril

Reaction score
The plan is to install a 20-minute firedoor with a seal for the bottom that slides out of a notch, activated by a button when the door is shut. He will employ a single rabbeted jamb.

TexasTitanium

Reaction score
How is the soundproof bedroom

I have the same problem and wanted to know if it is working for you?

would you do it differently?

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
Hey Tex,

This is a very old thread so don't know if any of the original posters will respond but since you raised the topic again, i will throw my $.02 in...

After re-windowing two houses with vinyl dual glazed Milguard windows I happened upon a trick to significantly makes the windows quieter.

When ordering the windows specify that one of the panes is thicker than the other; typical is have one pane 1/8" and the other 3/16" thick. The theory is that because of their different thicknesses, they will resonate at different frequencies thereby cutting down on sound transmission over the human hearing frequency range.

I'm telling you, it really does work! Now the problem is a lot of glass door (or other glass) manufactures won't do this for you; i recently tried to get my skylights built with this configuration and Velux said no-way. All my windows in my current house are this way except for one, and when my neighbor is out there with his lawnmower, i can hear it much louder when I'm next to that one window (even if he's not closest to it) when compared to the others.

Has anyone else tried this?

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
Nice site Gabe!

They actually vindicated what i said about windows pane thicknesses here:

http://www.soundproofing101.com/soundproofing_201_2.htm

Next time i'll go for the 1/4" panes! Wonder how spendy it is though.

There's lots of good info there, though not very scientific; since sound/noise is measured on logarithmic scale, not sure what they mean by "10% to 25% noise reduction..."; that's kind of subjective...

Still, lots of good basic info on the topic of noise reduction!

Thanks!

lapabc

Reaction score
The orginal question was about french doors that are soundproof. The first answer was to find double pane glass doors. But then the discussion got diverted and these questions were never answered. There are commerial products that address these questions... I give some examples below... and of course there is alway custom if you have lots of $$$.

French doors are usually thought of as doors with glass panels. Some of the discussion was about the company Masonite and "safe & sound" panels... this is not the answer because while Masonite does make french doors they are not double pane, and the safe & sound panels are not see-through. Here are better choices...

ThermaTru has a limited series of glass panel doors (french doors) called "Noise Reduction Door System" which involves specially laminated glass. Grills are added to give the appearance of 10 or 15 panes of glass (in french door terminology, this is called 10- or 15-lights). This product has a STC rating of 36.

Another choice is the Pella Designer series. These are all mostly double pane glass doors with grills mounted outside the glass or between the glass, to give the french door look. Options include internal blinds or internal screens that fit between the two glass panels. They even have an option for TRIPLE pane glass doors. The Pella Designer glass doors have a STC rating of 34-35. The other Pella series that include french doors (Architect and ProLine) have lower STC ratings.

Btw, the STC rating stands for "Sound Transmission Class" which is a logarithmic scale used by acoustic professionals to compare things like soundproofing ability of different materials. For example, loud speech can be understood through a wall rated at STC 30 but should not be audible through an STC 60 wall. A typical wood framed wall with 2x4 studs, two 5/8" drywall-sheetrock wall panels (one for each side of the wall) and batt insulation in between has an STC rating of 34-39. There are various construction techniques to get the rating up. There are now specialized drywall materials such as QuietRock which bring the STC rating up to 49-52 without special construction techniques if you simply substitute one conventional drywall-sheetrock panel for a QuietRock panel... even higher STC if you substitute both.

So what about glass? For comparison, the normal STC range for a single pane of glass is 26-28. The STC for double pane glass ranges from 26-33. Again, this is a log scale so small differences in the rating number mean a big difference in the sound transmitted. Double pane glass french doors or engineered glass french doors like Pella Designer and ThermaTru with STC ranges of 34-36 are pretty good and comparable to a conventional wall in your house... compared to doors with single pane glass which are going to suck.

lapabc

Reaction score
Hey Tex,

This is a very old thread so don't know if any of the original posters will respond but since you raised the topic again, i will throw my $.02 in...

After re-windowing two houses with vinyl dual glazed Milguard windows I happened upon a trick to significantly makes the windows quieter.

When ordering the windows specify that one of the panes is thicker than the other; typical is have one pane 1/8" and the other 3/16" thick. The theory is that because of their different thicknesses, they will resonate at different frequencies thereby cutting down on sound transmission over the human hearing frequency range.

I'm telling you, it really does work! Now the problem is a lot of glass door (or other glass) manufactures won't do this for you; i recently tried to get my skylights built with this configuration and Velux said no-way. All my windows in my current house are this way except for one, and when my neighbor is out there with his lawnmower, i can hear it much louder when I'm next to that one window (even if he's not closest to it) when compared to the others.

Has anyone else tried this?

Many years ago, I helped a friend build a recording studio. We used this technique and it DOES work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks