(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: What is better operating system?

Hybrid View

Default What is better operating system?

Which do you think is better Linux or Windows? Or any other operating systems you know?

My operating system is WindowsXP but my brother want to change it to Linux because he said its better. And I don't know in what way???

I always find Windows user friendly and better. Can anybody tell me more about which OS is better and why???

Thanks

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

This is what I do for a living; my professional opinion is if you've already paid for a legal copy of XP and are comfortable with it, you'd be nuts to switch to Linux. If you're the geeky type who likes to experiment, and are not concerned with being in the mainstream world, Linux is for you. If you're uncertain, you can dual-boot a single piece of hardware, or virtualize the two OSs with VMware. If you don't know what I'm talking about in the preceding sentence, go back to the first sentence.

I have no idea what Mikey said. Therefor, I will refer to his first sentence!

I would suggests exactly what Mikey said. If you aren't up for the tinkering with linux, stick to XP.
    OH

There are folks I know who would shoot me for even suggesting it but I would also stay with Windows. The whole idea with windows is it is easy to use, relatively stable, and of course there is a LOT of commercial software available for it. Unless you have a specific need for Linux that Windows just is not meetings OR if unless you have a spare machine and want to just mess around with Linux for S&Gs I would stay with Windows.

thanks for the advice... i own a license XP... but my brother need linux because he's doing some sort of programming i guess. Maybe i'll settle for a dual OS... or maybe I suggest that he buys he's own PC to install his Linux! hehehehe But for the meantime that he had no cash, I'll think I'll settle to have the 2 OS install in my PC!

Thanks everyone!

DIY Junior Member shannonhamilton's Avatar

I agree with Mike. Stick to what you are good at ... Plus you can run so much more software with windows...