Why is this not acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

karsc01

Reaction score
I've read several posts on here that talked about how having two floor drains on the same trap is not acceptable as shown in the diagram below.
Could someone explain to me why this is not acceptable?
I ask because these drains are going to be rarely if ever used and there's no wall or convenient place to bring up the vent on the second one like there is the first (unless I wet vent it from where the first drain is vented over to the second). They're only about 5 feet apart. Does anyone know the main reason the below diagram is not ok? Thanks.
trap2.jpg

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Good point!

Wow! I agree with your line of questioning. I would like to know too.

I have three floor drains that I just installed. Venting is far more than 5' away on one of them. So, in the "worst" case you will have two drains with two P-traps and drain pines and the venting is far away from the P trap in one case. Not significant.

At least you have a trap primer. Believe it or not, a Master Plumber told me on Day 1 that he wouldn't bother with trap primers. Go figure.

DAvid

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

1. As drawn you have a running trap which would not be acceptable in most jursidictions because the trap seal is not visible, (a requirement for almost all traps except for a bathtub).

2. Using the two traps would allow air circulation between them and once the pipe accumulated a buildup and it became "foul" the odor would be carried into the room. This is a common occurance in kitchen sinks where there is usually only one trap for the two drains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks