only getting 8 GPM from centrifugal pump - shallow wells

Users who are viewing this thread

hps

Reaction score
We have a 7 zone sprinkler system that has not been getting enough water pressrue to keep the sprinkler heads up during lawn sprinkler application. After having the pump and valves checked by a professional we were told that we probably needed another well point. AFterward, we decided to try and install one ourselves but first thought we should figure out what we already had. We discovered nine well points along a straight line. From what we've read, we should need no more than six. We thought that maybe since they were in a straight line, the closest wells might be getting sucked dry. We reworked the well system to have six wells manifolded such that each one is an equal distance (pipe run) from the pump and so that none were less than five feet from each other. We found the static water level at 5'. We washed the well points down to about 17' making sure all the pipe joints were properly sealed. Water was running clear at this point and we could not get the casing down any further (2 inch casing with teeth cut into it was used for augering). We have a 60 Cycle Self-Priming Centrifugal pump. When we tested the "new" system, we still had low water pressure and the water is now dark brown. We tested the discharge form the pump - at the pump before it got to the valves - and found we only get 8 GPM... We have no idea what to do at this point. Neighbors have no problem with their water pressure. Help please!!!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only time I ever heard of multiple wells on one pump is with a vacuum collector system.

What make/model pump?
How many GPM is the pump supposed to deliver at what pressure?
What size lines to wells?
Distance from pump to wells?

If even one well starts to suck air, you will lose pressure and flow.

I have seen descriptions of wells where they put a large casing in the ground and then run horizontal lines with screens into the aquifer. The well is a collector.

If the water table is reliably at 5 ft, you could get a backhoe to come in and dig a small collector pond or a big ditch below the water table. That would give you lots of area for infiltration and the sand would settle out so it wouldn't get in your pump.

If you don't want a pond or ditch, you could put stone or coarse gravel in the bottom about 10 ft diameter and then use a large casing (2 or 3 ft diameter) sitting on the stone to make a "dug well" to collect the water.

Check your region and see if there are successful "dug wells". That might be your cheapest solution.

Speedbump

Reaction score
There are bazillions of these systems in Pinellas county here in Florida. None of them are trouble free because of all the joints, elbows, couplings etc. Just a bunch of air leaks like Bob said.

Just sticking a pipe in the ground does not guarantee water. Maybe you should see what your neighbors did (exactly). Maybe they know something you don't.

And maybe the ground under your house is different than under his house. This is not all that uncommon.

Beside the fact that these are not what we in the business call real wells, anything is possible.

bob...

hps

Reaction score
Speedbump,

What would you suggest would be a better method of getting water for our sprinklers (other than using the municipal water supply)? Another kind of well system?

Our two adjacent neighbors have the same system - with multiple wellpoints manifolded to one pump. Another neighbor stopped by one day and said he did too - he also told us about installing the same set up at his old house in St. Pete.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would have to say something is not right with your system. I'm not sure what, but like I said, lots of air leak possibilities with a system like this.

If you were in St. Pete I could recommend a friend that does them if he isn't retired yet.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks