Plumbing a Fridge

Users who are viewing this thread

kenzo42

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been trying to remove a mushroom shaped cap placed on a water outlet behind my fridge. There's plumbers dough on the threads.

When i turn the mushroom cap counter clockwise, the entire pipe WITH the cap spins.

I'm afraid to cause a leak since whatever joint is turning is behind the wall, which I cannot see.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THe threads are normally standard...looking at the end, counter-clockwise unscrews it. You sure it is a threaded connection? If it is spinning, you may have broken something in the wall. It is possible they used a compression fitting which could allow it to spin, but normally this is not correct. If the cap is soldered on, it must be cut off or unsoldered, then the new stuff is added. Is this flexible pipe or rigid? If it is flexible, you might just be twisting it in the wall. You might have to open the wall and see if you didn't kink the flexible stuff up into a pretzel. Is it copper or plastic?

kenzo42

Reaction score
The most I've turned it was a quarter of a turn. Here's a picture that I took of the outlet. Oh, also there's plumbers dough on the thread, so I would assume it's not soldered on.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 323

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

It is a screwed cap on a soldered adapter. You have to hold the copper piece with one wrench while you unscrew the cap with a second one.

kenzo42

Reaction score
hj said:
It is a screwed cap on a soldered adapter. You have to hold the copper piece with one wrench while you unscrew the cap with a second one.

So by me turning the cap + pipe together, could I have broken something or caused something to leak in the wall? Since you mentioned it was soldered, did the solder break since I turned the pipe?

I am a newbie and I appreciate the help.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could very well have twisted the copper pipe and it could be leaking. The solder would not have broken, it is stronger than the copper pipe. Even if it's not leaking yet, you're going to have to open the wall to make repairs to the pipe inside.

kenzo42

Reaction score
So I removed the shield and got a glance of what was behind the wall. I included what I saw as a drawing since I couldn't get a good pic of it w/ my camera.

I believe what was turning was the other threaded end, and not the one connected to the cap. I don't believe I could actually turn the pipe since there are nails that are placed through the wing into a wood post.

It was completely dry.

1) Is this a common setup w/ older homes built in the 70's?

2) What's type of wrench would you guys recommend to hold the copper pipe, when I remove the cap. Is there a special tool?

Thanks,
Kenzo

**edit - I just realized where I drew the wood post. It is actually right against the wing.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 319

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

From your drawing and the picture, it appears you have something done by a DIY'er who did not know how to do it correctly, or just used whatever parts he had left over. It was not the common way, nor is it the best way, although it is adequate. The right way would be to unscrew it from the elbow then use the proper length brass nipple to install the new valve.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
But if the existing cap replaced an original valve, the nipple looks like the right length to me -- you don't have much room behind the refrigerator.

With the escutcheon removed, he might have enough room to grip the nipple with slipjoint pliers or a thin vicegrip to hold it while he removes the cap. In any case, turn the water off first...

Jeff1

Reaction score
Are you sure it's water? I have a capped pipe like that behind my fridge and its gas.

kenzo42

Reaction score
It's cold to the touch. Also, I see some green oxidation looking material on the copper pipe. When water runs in the house, and I place my ear to it, I can hear a whirrling sound.

Is there a definite way to figure if it's water or gas?

Thanks.

jaynote1

Plumber
Reaction score
the green oxidation would be possible evidence of water(a seepage leak, or condensation).....do you have gas service to your house, and if so, what appliances? and what possible gas appliance could have been in the place that your fridge is in now?....I would suggest tracing the GAS and water lines in your house and determine which service is serving that line....but i also agree that eventually you will have to go into the wall............

kenzo42

Reaction score
Water heater is run off gas, as well as stoves and oven.

It was a new house when it was purchased, so unlikely that area was meant for anything other than a fridge.

The green oxidation is coming from the threaded nipple. There's a very slight amount around the threads.

So you're saying I would need to go into the wall to determine if it's gas or not?

jaynote1 said:
the green oxidation would be possible evidence of water(a seepage leak, or condensation).....do you have gas service to your house, and if so, what appliances? and what possible gas appliance could have been in the place that your fridge is in now?....I would suggest tracing the GAS and water lines in your house and determine which service is serving that line....but i also agree that eventually you will have to go into the wall............

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks