Well pump won't cut in or out

Users who are viewing this thread

Geoff Morris

Reaction score
hello all,all of a sudden my pump won't kick in,if i hold the contacts in the control valve closed the pump works and i get water,once it goes over 20psi the contacts stay closed and the pump continues to run but then won;t kick off,i hae taken the pressure switch apart,the diaphram looks ok,i cleaned the contacts but still no operation

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the line to the pressure switch clear? Debris might give you this kind of problem I think. I'm not a pro.

Geoff Morris

Reaction score
pipe to valve

thx for the reply Jim,i did check the inlet pipe to the switch and it does seem to be clear

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is it possible to assemble the pressure switch backwards? I don't know, but it almost sounds like it is working backwards - if you force it on, when it reaches the high point, it doesnt' turn off. WHen it is low, it doesn't turn on.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

You may be running out of water. The switch will not stay on in a low/no water condition to protect the pump.
Deb
The Pipewench

Geoff Morris

Reaction score
switch operation

thx for the reply's,how does this pressure switch work exactly??,should the contacts be defaulted closed with no pressure like even when it's off and has no water pressure????,cause mine are always open,i don't see how that can work

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

"should the contacts be defaulted closed with no pressure like even when it's off and has no water pressure????,cause mine are always open,i don't see how that can work"

The contacts are defaulted open--no electrical current going through to the pump until it is called for. "no pressure" ??? There should be a minimum pressure that is consistent with the kick on pressure on the switch (it should never be 0). When the pressure drops below the kick on pressure, the contacts close and the pump kicks on and pumps until the kick off pressure is reached (usually a 20# differential from the kick on pressure). The pressure in the pressure tank, checked with all water emptied, should be 2#s lower than the kick on pressure for the pump. If your gauge is showing 0 pressure, post back and tell us more about your system--type of pump, how deep, etc.

I am not sure that I completely understood your questions correctly. A well system can be complicated and there can be various reasons for a "no water" condition that may be beyond the ability of the average Joe (or Jane) to diagnose.

Deb
The Pipewench

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
In your I assume low pressure safety switch the default for the switch is points opened; low pressure opens them if the pressure falls below 20 psi (usually). Regular switches are default closed; and open with pressure equallying the cut-out seting of the switch. So my assumption you have a low safety cutoff switch.

Normally a low safety cutoff switch is used where the well will allow the pump to suck air due to the water level falling to the inlet of the pump. That's done so the pump doesn't set there running dry. You have (don't you?) a little handle on the side of your switch that alows you to close the points and start the pump. When you do and the pressure exceeds 20 psi you can let go of the handle AND turn it to AUTO. The pressure is supposed to build until the cut-out setting is reached but.... it sounds as if your switch is having a problem sensing that pressure increase. That is usually caused by a blockage in water flow to the switch. The nipple the switch is installed on or the tubing to a jet pump switch and its fittings and the holes they screw into is usually blocked.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks