Draining my closed hot water heating system

Users who are viewing this thread

gwg

Reaction score
I need to move/replace a couple of radiator supply pipes so I need to drain my heating system. Do I need to shut off the gas to my water heater and furnace? Once it starts draining, do I need to open the bleed valves on as many radiators as I can? And then when I refill the system, do I leave one bleed valve open at the highest point in the house (my third floor) to let the air escape?

Thanks for any help.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, but also turn off the water and electricity and set the thermostat back also.

Why do you mention the water heater?

gwg

Reaction score
When I turn off the water at the main, the water heater won't get refilled, right? That means there are only 60 gallons of water and if it runs dry, the gas will just cook the tank instead of the water?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
There should be a separate water supply shut off for the boiler. If there isn't then you should put one in then do your plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks