(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Do we need a new sewer cleanout cap?

Question Do we need a new sewer cleanout cap?

We recently purchased a home where the sewer cleanout has a cap that looks like black plastic and it is not a solid cover but is slotted so rain or dirt and who knows what else could get in there. I noticed on walks around my neighborhood everyone else has solid metal-looking caps (our caps are all in the front yards). For what purpose would our house have a slotted cap and should this be changed? I think our home inspector told us it was illegal to have a slotted cap. Is it hard to remove this cap and where do we buy a new cap? Should we have our main sewer line snaked in case the slots let all kinds of dirt and sediment into our line?

Default cap

It should simply unscrew and you can get a replacement at almost any hardware or "big box" store.

If you haven't had drainage problems, then (if it were me) I wouldn't pay to have it snaked. I would, however, confirm that you are indeed looking at your cleanout before you replace the cap.
    (important note: I'm not a pro)

Are you sure your not looking a t an area drain that goes to a drainage ditch or storm sewer?