Bathroom tear out and remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

WaterBoy

Reaction score
Hi, this may be the first post of many. I've enjoyed reading hundreds of posts, and have been lurking here for more than a year. Now it's my turn to ask for help. :D

I've remodelled several bathrooms, but I've always had the luxury of a single level structure with crawl space. This is the first house where I have a second level and concrete slab - so no access under or over :(

I'd like to install a tub, but have some questions about drainage. I have an existing PVC vented drain that I'd like to use for the tub. In its previous life, it was for a single vanity and no p-trap under the concrete. It also has connection a foot or so off the floor for the old vanity p-trap. I know I have 2 options. Either raise the tub sufficiently for a p-trap under the tub and fall to the drain, or, start smashing concrete and install a p-trap under the slab. I think I know the answer... :)

Thanks!
WB

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you break concrete, then when it is finished you will think of the great thing that you have accomplished when you look at the beautiful bathroom, and you will appreciate it as long as you live there.

If you put the tub on a platform, then every day for as long as you live there you will think of that ugly, inconvenient, tub. And when you sell the house, the prospective buyers will see that hokey setup and look elsewhere.

WaterBoy

Reaction score
OK, it's been a while...

:eek: well I decided to get back working on this project. I broke up the concrete under the tub and installed the drain. All went well, and I'm pleased I went that route - no weird raised tub.

Now comes the shower. The house is 25 yrs old and there was originally a 5' tub - I've ripped that out and plan to build a custom tile shower. I obviously wanted to center the drain so broke more concrete. The old drain was 1.5" and close the wall, but there was no apparent vent stack. The new center shower drain is approx 3' from the old drain. I planned to go 2" to the old drain, then reduce - not ideal I realize, but I have no way of putting in an entire new drain (slab house). As I was digging down I noticed the drain went into a 2" trap about a foot or so under the concrete. But it still doesn't appear to be vented, unless it was somehow connected to another stack nearby under the concrete.

So - now I can run 2" all the way, great. Should I keep the old p-trap near the wall, run 2" to the new center drain and also put a trap directly under the shower drain? Any issues with 2 p-traps 3 feet apart? What about venting, I can probably run a vent to a stack about 4' away, but I'm guessing the old drain is already vented (old trap holds water fine).

Words of wisdom greatly appreciated!
WB

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
good plan.

i think it is better to stay with 2" pipe, and not worry about the difference in distance (between vent and P trap) which is only a matter of inches or a couple feet.

there are enough vents down there, from your description. Remember tha a large diameter pipe is self-venting, too. Air comes back up (in the top half) while water is going down (in the bottom half).

david

K

kathywhite

Well, I in the middle bathroom remodeling too but I am having bad time finding website that are related to this topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks