Adapting existing tub for elderly

Users who are viewing this thread

Klilika

Reaction score
My elderly father in law is about to return to his home in Sequim after physical rehabilitation. He does not need a "no clearance" shower, but cannot raise his legs over the edge of the bathtub in his home. Does anyone have experience with the "walk-thru" conversion advertised by Bathcrest of Seattle? It appears in the photos that a chunk of the bathtub wall is simply removed (and finished edges applied) allowing a place to step through to the tub. The ad claims it can be completed in a few hours and would not be as expensive as a total removal and replacement :) Thanks!!

BGSchatz

Reaction score
Don't have an answer for you, but will be watching. My mother is 83 and we're getting her out of a skilled nursing facility on Tuesday, which is her birthday. We purchased a swivel shower seat for her, but she will still need to get her legs over, luckily with assistance. The walk thru appears to limit the tub to only being used as a shower, but at that point, who cares.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
If a person cannot raise a leg to enter the tub, face the wheel chair to the tub and have them lift their legs straight. Then push forward until they are sitting with legs in the tub. Lock the wheel chair brakes and then, with an assistant in the tub, lift and seat them in the tub or bath seat. You should have something in the tub, towel etc. to prevent slippage. Care-giving is the toughest job you'll ever have. I know from experience. Good luck.

Klilika

Reaction score
It's done and it's fine

Just wanted to report back... After a couple of setbacks, Father in law is at home. The Bathcrest people were there a few weeks ago, and made the conversion in a couple of hours. The "rise" he has to step over is about 6 or 7 inches, and he can do that just fine. The shower curtain that was used for the tub was not quite long enough, but by adding a seond set of rings to the existing ones, we had a very easy (and cheap) way to make the shower curtain work without re-mounting the rod lower!! And yes, the tub is now only good as a shower, but the other possible solution was to remove the tub and put in a shower stall which would have the same end result at 10 times the cost. He's happy, we're happy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks