(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non Standard Vacuum Breaker

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    ABQ does freeze on occasion...the vacuum breaker is the weak point, and is the first thing to go if there's a hose on the bib and it does freeze.
    Yes it does freeze here, we actually live in the mountains outside of Albuquerque. -28 degrees this winter but that set all kinds of records. Normally it will get down to about 10 degrees above zero, maybe. However another of these pieces of junk just started leaking today. It has been above 65 degrees every day for months, hitting up to 101 during the day. So it did not freeze. They just fail. I turn the water on and there is a leak above the hose in the recess of the adapter. I think the internal working eventually fails.

As far as replacing the bib, that will cost around $250 each and we have five of them. Plus it means cutting into the interior wall with all the patching needed for four of them, one of which requires removing the kitchen sink and cabinet to get to the pipe. BUMMER.

WE would need a picture of your faucets. ALL outdoor faucets should have hose threads on them. There is no such thing as a "freezeless adapter". There are vacuum breaker attachments, and sometimes a faucet needs a "special" one from the manufacturer for that specific faucet, in which case the faucet itself would not have the hose threads on it, but that would be by the intent of the manufacturer.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

quote; The kind your talking about should be available at hardware stores and any good plumber should have one or two on hand.

I am a good plumber and I have ZERO proprietary vacuum breakers on the truck. The only plumbers who would have them are those who are in area with a multitude of that particular brand, so that they encounter the situation frequently. That is NOT the case in this area.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Arrowhead has new outdoor faucets with built-in vacuum breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Arrowhead has new outdoor faucets with built-in vacuum breakers.

Terry/Anybody,

Have anyone installed these new Arrowhead Brass units? What are your opinion on them?

http://www.arrowheadbrass.com/op_cha...hSheet_2Pg.pdf

I might be interested in updating some of my older AB units and these seem real nice.

Jeff
    Last edited by JCturboT; 11-12-2011 at 06:01 AM.