(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non Standard Vacuum Breaker

Quote Originally Posted by plumber1
    You didn't take the whole breaker off from the hose thread.......
    It doesn't come off, the part you see there above the tape appears to be sodered on (or some type of really hard glue). You can see a very thin bead of it going all around the edge when you look down on it from above. That piece in the photo that the tape is on does not screw off. Looks like it should but does not.
    Last edited by Kub; 07-12-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua
    The faucet shown has two components...it is a frostproof valve with an add-on vacuum breaker. If you don't need the frostproof valve, take the vacuum breaker (or what's left of it) off and replace it with a new one. Or, take out the whole thing and replace it. If the valve works, replace the vacuum breaker.
    The faucet works fine, and it is the vacuum breaker replacement I am looking for, but haven't been able to find it anywhere. I have found vacuum breakers at the local plumbing supply but they are all pipe threads on both ends. This seems to have some mutant 1 inch (+) machine thread on the faucet end. I'd even be willing to buy the whole thing again for the $17 it said it cost in the home inspection thing and just take the vacume breaker off the new one and attach it to the one I have currently if I could just find a place to purchase the silly thing.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

I couldn't read all the responses on this thread but I'm pretty sure that faucet is a Arrow Head Brass faucet.

In my area we are having huge problems with the issue of reps and a new company is supposed to take over.

In the meantime this is making replacement parts for these hard to find........and there is probably a half a million of these in my area.

I have a customer waiting for me to find parts for one now. I'm sure I could online it but I'll wait and see what comes of my local ties.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED
    I couldn't read all the responses on this thread but I'm pretty sure that faucet is a Arrow Head Brass faucet.

In my area we are having huge problems with the issue of reps and a new company is supposed to take over.

In the meantime this is making replacement parts for these hard to find........and there is probably a half a million of these in my area.

I have a customer waiting for me to find parts for one now. I'm sure I could online it but I'll wait and see what comes of my local ties.
    Thanks, I'll start looking locally to see if there are any Arrowhead at the plumbing shops here. I hope those are the ones, I really hate not being able to use the garden hose.

Do a google search on:
    Arrow Head Brass faucet

The first hit has a picture I think your looking for,
    George

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

Unhappy life is soo short

why screw with an old ,or new hose bib ?

buy a new on for god's sake

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by toolaholic
    why screw with an old ,or new hose bib ?

buy a new on for god's sake

LOL!! He might have to.....I finally found the internals to the same faucet. Found it at a supply house in Cincinnati. Had to bring an AK-47 just for protection but I made it out alive!!!!!
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

I just went through this a couple of weeks back. With the help of this forum, I found the manufacturer's name. I called them and within a few days replacement part - NO CHARGE -. I just unscrewd the old one and screwed in the new one. Much easier then trying to reach around the cold air return and fight with the piping to replace whole bib.
    George

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

Default like I said George

fix the old one Tool

--Customers of plumbers: Never be afraid to ask for proof of licensure of the plumber servicing your equipment. A licensed plumber will be proud to show you his personal license.--

DIY Junior Member violet2christi's Avatar

I know it's been awhile since you've had this problem with a replacement for a leaking vacuum breaker, but what did you end up doing? I have exactly the same faucet (as the one shown in the pic you posted) and the vacuum breaker shown above. Thanks.

Default Replace freezeless adapter on outdoor faucet

We have outdoor faucets which do not have a garden hose thread. They require an adapter to attach a hose. The only adapter we have locally are a freezeless type which starts to leak after a year or two. Is there an adapter which is just solid, without all the stuff to drain the line etc., to adapt the faucet to take a garden hose?

Thank you for your time and attention to this.
    Mike

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Buy better quality hose bibs! Those are frost-free hose bibs, and they require the vacuum breaker to work, unless I'm all wet. Maybe a picture of what you have would help clarify the situation, but no, don't think there's another way. A frost-free hose bib does three things: has a built-in vacuum breaker to prevent accidentially sucking in contaminated water and polluting your water supply, automatically drains to prevent the pipe from bursting (only works on most if you remember to remove the hose when it freezes - this may be why it fails so often), and last, turns the water on and off. Some are built better than others, but if over the winter, you leave the hose on, unless you buy a whole new faucet that won't be damaged, you HAVE to remove the hose when it freezes, or things will break.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Buy better quality hose bibs! Those are frost-free hose bibs, and they require the vacuum breaker to work, unless I'm all wet. Maybe a picture of what you have would help clarify the situation, but no, don't think there's another way. A frost-free hose bib does three things: has a built-in vacuum breaker to prevent accidentially sucking in contaminated water and polluting your water supply, automatically drains to prevent the pipe from bursting (only works on most if you remember to remove the hose when it freezes - this may be why it fails so often), and last, turns the water on and off. Some are built better than others, but if over the winter, you leave the hose on, unless you buy a whole new faucet that won't be damaged, you HAVE to remove the hose when it freezes, or things will break.
    I think what you are referring to is you have standard hose bibs with a vacuum breaker attached. The vacuum breaker is there for all the reasons jadnashua gave.

John

Last edited by Terry; 08-15-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

ABQ does freeze on occasion...the vacuum breaker is the weak point, and is the first thing to go if there's a hose on the bib and it does freeze.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014