Toto Drake seat doesn't fit

Users who are viewing this thread

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
My husband just installed a Toto Drake, regular height, elongated bowl. (bowl model #C744S ) The man at the store told him they only sell the Softclose seat but said if anyone ever sits on the toilet when the lid is closed it will damage the sensor and break the seat. So my husband bought an elongated seat that was supposed to fit all standard elongated bowls. Well, the seat extends past the edge of the bowl on the front and extends past the sides of the bowl that are near the front of the bowl. I looked at the spec sheet on Terry's site and it lists a non-Soft close seat but it says it is open front, which I don't want. It seems to me that an open-front seat will look too much like a public bathroom, and not be as comfortable. So I am wondering if anyone knows of a specific brand/model of an elongated seat that has a closed front that fits the Drake?

Someone recently posted that a Bemis softclose seat with easy lift-off seemed to fit their Drake, but I am not sure if that means that seat would have a sensor that would break if someone sat on the toilet with the lid closed. I am also not sure if that seat is closed front, plus I am wondering if the easy lift off lids mean that your toilet seat often goes loose at the bolts and wiggles around on the bowl?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A sensor?

That's a new one.

The softclose, is a slow closing seat that drops slowly.

I just went in and sat on the seat lid to check it out.
I'm 200 pounds, and nothing happened.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I've got the Bemis seat and a Drake toilet, both still in their boxes. I'll see how they match up tonight and let you know. If they don't match, I'm sure HD will take it back.

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
bemis vs Toto seat

Just wondering why you selected to use the Bemis seat and not the Toto?

Are there any drawbacks to the Toto seat? I have heard some find the Toto seat uncomfortable.

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
Wrong info on "sensor"

I can't wait to hear what the man at the store says when my husband goes back to buy the Soft-close seat for our Drake because my husband said he was going to try to find a diplomatic way to tell him that you sat on your seat and nothing happened. :p We figured we should try to get him the correct information so that future customers don't get steered away from a good seat by being told it has a sensor that will break. BTW, I LOVE this website and if we lived in your area instead of the NE, I would DEFINITELY purchase all our things from you, Terry :) . I also have a great respect for all the plumbers out there because the more I discover about plumbing the more I see there are many quirks and complications involved.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Bemis seat vs Toto Drake bowl

Belated reply -- I checked the Bemis seat against the Drake bowl and they seem to match up OK. Hope to actually install the thing in the next couple of weeks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks