Unstable tub floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Serg

Reaction score
I just bought a new house and have found that, apparently, the tub was not very well installed. I smelled something strange in the closet that is on the backside of the faucets/drain and, when I opened up the access door, discovered a build-up of mold. I have pinpointed the problem to be instability of the tub, which was causing cracks in the caulking and letting water through. For the time being, I have recaulked with silicone caulk, but I would like to fix the instability.

The tub is for a three-wall enclosure. With the little access I have, I have shimmed under the the side of the tub with no wall (i.e. between the foundation and the apron). This has given better stability to the overall structure; however, the floor of the tub is still unstable. When I step into the tub, the floor of the tub gives a little, which creates instability. From reading other posts, I understand that the installer should have put mortar under the tub to prevent this type of instability. He didn't. Given that the tub is fully installed now and I have very little access, is there anything that I can do to support the floor without completely pulling out the tub and starting over (and, ideally, without cutting a lot of sheetrock around the tub)?

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
unstable tub

You can try some foam insulation,comes in a spray can,you must fill the tub with water because the insulation expands as it dries.

Serg

Reaction score
Do you know where I buy that stuff? What does filling the tub with water do?

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
unstable tub

Foam insulation is called "great stuff",the big box store,the stuff expands filling the tub with water will weigh the tub down,I know from experience if you do not fill the tub w/water the tub could move because of the foam insulation will expand and move the tub.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They make at least a couple of different configurations of the foam. One remains flexible, the other is brittle. The flexible one is also low-expansion and denser. I'd go with that version. Can't say from experience...just my gut feelings.

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
The mortar base isn't intended to add stability to the tub, that job is done by proper wooden framework and screws thru the flanges.

The mortar is basically to support the bottom of a fiberglass/plastic tub from flexing and eventually cracking.

I don't think using foam insulation is going to fix your problem...that expanding insulation is pretty weak stuff as far as structural integrity is concerned.

Serg

Reaction score
Flex is some of the problem, so maybe it will at least help. Any other ideas?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flex

If stepping into the bottom of the tub flexs the joint where the tub meets the wall or surround, then you have more of a problem than just poor support under the floor. Filling the void under the tub may cure some of the symptoms, but the real problem, namely a poor initial installation, will remain.

Serg

Reaction score
flex

Ugh. So no way to fix other than pulling the tub out and starting over?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a flat piece of foam, then take a thin piece of plywood, say 1/4". Stand on it, it will feel quite firm. The base of the tub will spread the load out, and it is point loads with foam that are a problem, not distributed loads.

If you don't have ledger boards to support the edges, that is another problem altogether...That needs to be fixed, too. If you do take it out, you can then lay the thing in a mortar bed, and it will be nice and firm.

Serg

Reaction score
I suspect they didnt put in the ledger boards on all the edges (e.g. on the edge where the faucets are). Is there any way to "fix" that (or at least reinforce it) without taking the tub out?

Markore

Reporter
Reaction score
Old thread but anyway if you don't want to remove the tub but can pull out the shower wall on the side that's causing the problem then on some models it is possible to slip an elbow bracket down between the tub and the studs and pivot it into position such that the bottom of the tub ledge has support. The exposed part of the bracket is then screwed to the wall studs.

You can go around and add a bracket everywhere there is a stud, but this does require removing the shower wall.

Without removing the shower wall and/or the tub the only way to install a cleat from the backside is by cutting out enough wall finishing/framing on the backside to allow access.

If none of these options are feasible in the short-term then removing the caulking and filling the tub so that the gap is most visible then re-caulking with a more expensive 100% silicone or marine elastomeric product specifically designed for waterproof flexible gap filling would be advised.

Filling the tub or adding weight to the tub so that the gap is most visible before applying the sealant should improve the durability of the seal.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks