Installation of tile ready shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidGrant

Reaction score
When installing a new, tile ready shower pan, should a shower pan membrane be layed first? The manufacturer does not mention this requirement in their instructions. The shower pan itself is adhered with construction adhesive, rather than a mortar bed, so I would be afixing the pan to the membrane itself rather to the underlayment. Also, when a membrane is used, how is it afixed to the drain itself to direct the water into the drain?

I want to do this right the first time!

D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need to give a little more info...it would depend on the brand. Before you install anything, though, ensure the floor is level and flat. If it isn't, then you'll have problems from flex and tile/grout breaking or drainage problems. Got a brand and model? Also, check out www.johnbridge.com.

DavidGrant

Reaction score
The unit is made by tile redi and is their 4848 model. The subfloor is level and is new, so there are no previously existing soft spots from water damage. I also increased the framing under the shower area to ensure stability.

Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, their installation instructions are lacking a bit! The pan is waterproof, so you don't use a liner for it...there is nothing to attach a separate liner to the drain assembly. Make sure you have things lined up properly, as you'll only get one chance to bed the pan and connect the drain unless you have access to the drain and trap from underneath. Make sure it is square to the wall, and exactly where you want it.

They don't discuss the installation of the wallboard either, at least not enough to do it properly without some additional info.

You need a vapor barrier behind the cement board (cbu) on the wall that comes down and laps over the lip of the pan. Then, attach the cbu by screwing it to the wall down to the flange of the pan as indicated. Cement board is not waterproof, nor is grout and some tile. To keep from rotting the studs, you need the vapor barrier, and it must have an exit path into the pan to drain any condensation.

Be careful to get a full spread of the adhesive on the floor.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
hi David

is the pan made of Expanded or Extruded foam? If you don't know the difference, can you describe what kind of foam it reminds you of. Please. :D

Everything Jim has said is right.

All your questions were reasonable. And it stuns me that you hadn't received enough documentation to answer them. I wish tileredi had provided you with better information. Keeping you ignorant is not a wise strategy. My opinion. Your "ignorance" is not going to work in their favor in the mid and long term. My prediction.

David

DavidGrant

Reaction score
David, the pan is an extrusion I believe. I was very impressed with the construction, and I am sure it will make a good substraight on which to apply tile. I also agree with you that the lack of detailed documentation is a downfall.

Jim, thank you for your information. You pretty well confirmed my thoughts as to the prepration of the surface and surrounding area. I tend to err on the side of caution, so I will make sure the area is well prepared before I set the pan. As for the drain line connection, with a second set of hands to set the pan down straight, I should have no problems; but you are right, with the pvc cement I will get one chance.

Thank you both for your feedback. It will help in making this a quality project.

David

John Shum

Reaction score
I just installed a TileRedi pan for the first time. I didn't use a membrane, but you'll be able to see how it came together here: TileRedi Shower Pan Install

shum_2.jpg

shum_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
There are many tile ready pans on the market. The phrase "Tile Ready" is sometimes not quite that accurate.

Tile ready if you sand it first.

Tile ready if you have epoxy setting material.

Tile ready if you have all ready preformed a flood test.

With any shower project the critical connections points are the drain connection and the floor to wall and floor to curb points. The only way to ensure these are waterproof is to preform a flood test.

AKW has a nice line of tile ready pans that are being used with great success in senior homes, nanny suites and everyday showers all over Canada and the USA. AKW call them Tuff Forms and they come with a UK "Tanking Kit" or "Waterproofing Kit" as it is called in North America.

I have yet to install one of these pans as I'm still in product testing mode here in Vancouver. So far everything I have tried has passed with flying colours. The waterproofing measures are simple. The use of a liquid waterproofing membrane is used in combination with a reinforcement in the corners.

I have had great success with the Mapeband product from Mapei so it is no surprise that the Mapei WPS system is an easy system to use for me.

With any tile failure or waterproofing failure it is often a bond breaker at the route of the problem or deflection. These pans need to be set solid and if that means a litle extra framing then do it.

If you need to sand something - clean it up before going forward.

"Waterproofing a shower is not something you can almost do perfect. When it's perfect. It's good enough."

If you want more info on these AKW Tuff Form shower pans give this guy an email.

Shannon Melvin (shannon@woodwright.com) He has been very helpful walking me through the process and I ordered my first kit from him.

I looked at the "Tile Ready" pans in Las Vegas last year at the Health Care Design Conference and was not impressed. The kit from AKW is a much better product in my opinion.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks