Replacing Doorknobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This forum rarely lets me down. So here goes:

I want to replace all these old doorknobs in my house. Brass plating starting to wear thru etc.

I know less than zero about doorknobs. I'm familiar with the major locks...but that's it.
I've seen the packs of 4-6 at big box but have no clue what to look for regarding quality/brands and so on...

These are primarily for bed & bath so locks aren't necessarily needed.
...thanks..

Mike50

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Locks for bed and bath...with just a turn button or push button, on the inside,...are labeled just that....bed and bath, or sometimes called privacy locks.

Kwikset is OK, but no one likes the 6-way latch they now use on all their locks.
They have at least 3 grades...regular, security, and Ultramax. Schlage is better quality lock, but they also range from grade 3 residential, to grade 2 residential/light commercial, to grade 1 heavy commercial.

Prices range from roughly $10 to $100. I would avoid the "defiant" brand or other "house" brands. The few bucks you save give you a really lousy lock.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mike,

Depending on your budget, you may want to consider a lifetime finish if you are going with better locks.

Paul

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jimbo said:
Locks for bed and bath...with just a turn button or push button, on the inside,...are labeled just that....bed and bath, or sometimes called privacy locks.

Kwikset is OK, but no one likes the 6-way latch they now use on all their locks.
They have at least 3 grades...regular, security, and Ultramax. Schlage is better quality lock, but they also range from grade 3 residential, to grade 2 residential/light commercial, to grade 1 heavy commercial.

Prices range from roughly $10 to $100. I would avoid the "defiant" brand or other "house" brands. The few bucks you save give you a really lousy lock.

This is a good start Jimbo. Didn't know grades existed...
I'll look at the schlage or comparable moderate priced.

Like I said, I saw a six pack of doorknobs a while back they sell so...
I'll stay away from brands mentioned.

I will replace entry and back doors later on and will spend to get a high quality product there.

These are interior/utility only.

Last edited: