Seamless/Removable Laminate floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck on what flooring will work for me in Den/TV room.
I have to get this old carpet out asap. My long term plan for 2007-2008
is a really nice hard wood floor or ?--but that isn't going to happen now.

Two Issues to address:

1.Two dirty desert dawgs own this room. (should clean easily)
2.Flooring should be easily removable and relatively inexpensive.

Is there such a thing as a one sheet seamless laminate floor without the strong adhesives, keeping in mind I may remove it in a couple years.

I've seen the roll-out & cut garage products and I like that idea a lot. Some look OK but I don't want it to LOOK like a garage.

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
I am very happy with the laminate flooring I put in my kitchen earlier this year. It's not that hard to clean with a swiffer, and it's pretty durable, my kid knocks things on the floor all the time. Make sure you get a good underlayment that is also a water seal, and you dont have to get the laminate with underlayment already on, because you will end up having to put down a vapor barrier anyway. I kind I got was in planks, and you just lay them down without glue of any kind.

My wife likes it so much, she is begging me to put laminate in the entry way, and other parts of the house, and she was a huge fan of hardwood before.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
JohnyChevyEG said:
I am very happy with the laminate flooring I put in my kitchen earlier this year. It's not that hard to clean with a swiffer, and it's pretty durable, my kid knocks things on the floor all the time. Make sure you get a good underlayment that is also a water seal, and you dont have to get the laminate with underlayment already on, because you will end up having to put down a vapor barrier anyway. I kind I got was in planks, and you just lay them down without glue of any kind.

My wife likes it so much, she is begging me to put laminate in the entry way, and other parts of the house, and she was a huge fan of hardwood before.

Good tips. Thanks.
I just want a big sheet of shiny vinyl I guess.

But you know what is pretty interesting? Remember all that old fashioned terazzo pattern LINOLEUM. Well...it's back and in a big way.
And it's not cheap anymore. I had no idea linoleum was a natural product.
hmmm....

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are going to do something like ceramic tile in the future, you don't want to mess up a concrete floor with adhesive.

Ceramic tile would make a nice cool place for your "dirty desert dawgs", and the materials are less expensive than sheet vinyl if you are into doing it yourself.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bob NH said:
If you are going to do something like ceramic tile in the future, you don't want to mess up a concrete floor with adhesive.

Ceramic tile would make a nice cool place for your "dirty desert dawgs", and the materials are less expensive than sheet vinyl if you are into doing it yourself.

I may just end up with heated tile Bob.
I know this entry floor is going to be pricey.

Due to neglect by previous owners I've always got
3-4 projects going on here annually.
I'm not budgeted to do what I want until I finish with these plumbing and electrical
issues/remodels that are more important for practical & safety reasons.

So for a couple years until I'm ready--I just want a big ole piece of cheap shiny vinyl flooring thats easy to keep clean to replace carpet the dogs have trashed. Anything not cold in winter.

yes...whatever temporary flooring I put down will not compromise the slab with adhesive. I simply Cannot Do That because I'm undecided about using decorative acid stain or tile in the future (which requires clean concrete).

I don't want to spend much more than a buck a square foot....and just some desert landscape color is fine for now.
I am unable to install myself. I have plenty of handy guys around here.

...if I can find an old hardware store liquidating old beige linoleum tiles for 24 cents-- that would be outstanding. lol.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Check flooring stores and contractors for remnants. I've seen pieces of 12' wide up to 4-5' long in dumpsters, but they may save longer stuff and let it go cheap.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am really frustrated about this project. I've got 3 projects going on now and only have about 2 bucks sq. ft. budgeted to get this entry/den floor done. (including all materials)

For logistical and practical reasons--this carpetings needs to go n o w.
I want a temporary non-carpet covering that will not compromise the concrete slab in any way that I can remove in 2 years.

At this point....I don't care what the material is as long as it's not cold under foot in winter. :confused:

Prashster

Reaction score
Get some cheap throw rugs and be done with it. IMHO, rugs on concrete say "Please pardon our appearance. I'm gonna replace this in 2 years". Crappy laminate or whatever says "I'm cheap".

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
prashster said:
Get some cheap throw rugs and be done with it. IMHO, rugs on concrete say "Please pardon our appearance. I'm gonna replace this in 2 years". Crappy laminate or whatever says "I'm cheap".

LOL :D
I need design advice from You like my dog needs a bicycle.

(important note: You're not a pro)

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What prashter said. If the throw rugs are washable, all the better for the dawgs.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mikey said:
If the throw rugs are washable, all the better for the dawgs.

I probably didn't make myself clear. My goal is to be not have carpeting in the house. Rugs-throw rugs are a no-brainer--that would be a last resort Mikey. It's a unique problem.
Rugs arent good for the desert-windows are open--gets dusty.

Why would I rip up carpeting then put down "throw rugs"?

I think the trend is that people are looking for carpet options and a lot of new technologies for consumers are emerging.
Bamboo,Cork, even Rubber and acid stained concrete:
http://www.kemiko.com/

Not to mention that Linoleum is back. When possible I try to use renewable/green products.

Mikey, I'm a graphic arts guy, That's my world-- so Im always dealing with combinations of color-texture-style all the time so it's just my nature to look at what is possible.

I have a long term plan for this floor---I can't do it now. I just want something easily cleaned for the dogs right now, that wont screw up my concrete slab because I might acid stain it in the future. (see url)

HTH

Mike

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
To that end, have you considered linoleum? If you put down a 1/4" lauan (ok if it's temporary) and just brad nail it (also ok if only temporary) you can glue down some vinyl pretty easily. In 2 years, peel it up, and pry off the lauan and you're ready for yr permanent plans.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds nuts but....

joshua-tree.jpg

I was at the (grand opening) of Joshua Tree National Park Museum/store a week ago
The floor was finished acid stained concrete slab stained to look like desert terrain--all shades of brown/beige. And in strtegic places were interlocking
black & multi color Rubber tiles in heavy traveled areas.

I dont think I can do that...but I like that alot. Industrial sort of.
im just brain storming here.. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

indyjps

mechanical engineer
Reaction score
the concrete stain was what i was going to suggest, they are using it in many tex-mex restaurants in shopping centers now. if not just epoxy the floor with concrete floor sealer, then its an easy mop up job doesnt help with the cold aspect though. astroturf cut to size and anchored along the edge, pull it ot and hose it down when its dirty. they sell rubber flooring to cushion the floor of industrial areas in all colors but it will probably go over your budget. they also sell industrial felt for oily areas in rolls up to 8 feet wide, a light adhesive would definately work.
i still like the luan idea above then you can just rip it out. luan with a coat of kilz or epoxy thats tinted would do the trick, or just lay your desirered underlayment for your wood floors now and walk on that for a year.

Prashster

Reaction score
Actually, on 2nd thought not sure I like the lauan idea. The floor's concrete, so you'd have to use ramsets or something. It'd be a pain. Have you tried FLOR? It's a modular 'carpet' system. If you pick a pile that's short enough, you can achieve warmth while keeping dust to a minimum.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
indyjps said:
the concrete stain was what i was going to suggest, they are using it in many tex-mex restaurants in shopping centers now. if not just epoxy the floor with concrete floor sealer, then its an easy mop up job doesnt help with the cold aspect though. astroturf cut to size and anchored along the edge, pull it ot and hose it down when its dirty. they sell rubber flooring to cushion the floor of industrial areas in all colors but it will probably go over your budget. they also sell industrial felt for oily areas in rolls up to 8 feet wide, a light adhesive would definately work.
i still like the luan idea above then you can just rip it out. luan with a coat of kilz or epoxy thats tinted would do the trick, or just lay your desirered underlayment for your wood floors now and walk on that for a year.

Good call. I was a HD and looked at all my options from a very well informed flooring guy whos done it all. Im leaning toward the terazzo Valspar or Rustoleum Epoxy with flakes (roll it on) broadcast flakes. I really like the look a lot. Doing acid stain right is very labor intensive--I'll pass.

Epoxy coating should buffer the cold floor in winter some what anyway. (I hope)
This option is #1 on my list at this time.
That could buy me time till I do a real quality floor in that room.

Carpet is just bad news in the desert--it's gotta go.

I made it thru the fire/evacuation last week and it smells like smoke a little bit.

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Valspar has a terazzo quartz product which looks pretty nice. Might be to labor intensive for me but I'm looking at some ideas like this and use them for my purposes.

Truthfully, I don't think a nicer floor exists than true terazzo imo.
Installing real terazzo isn't realistic-I wouldnt even consider it.

As a kid I would see guys creating real italian Terazzo squares on the Hollywood Blvd.'s Hollywood walk of fame. It would take 2 guys a couple days to do just a few 6X6 squares. Then the star had to be installed and thats another story..

http://www.valsparflooring.com/vals...ent=decorative&ad=quartzite&kw=Quartzitefloor

I would use the flake version which must be a lot cheaper---and it's DIY.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I decided to put an end to my procrastinating and changing my mind about this project. So...I cut the carpet right down the middle and took it out. Im living on the slab now....which actually feels great under foot with these record triple digit temps during our HOT season. The slab needs plenty of prep work as I suspected so it's just as well.

Now I have to put something down before winter.:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks