Kohler Rialto K-3402 toilet fill valve repair

Users who are viewing this thread

jerry k

Reaction score
Jadnashua--
Thanks for your reply--unforunately they were cut around the bowl. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jerry K

deanalt

Reaction score
Rialto 3402 redux

Sorry for not checking back sooner, hj - sorry. Life continues on much the same way: Every few months, the toilet starts hissing and I can see the water in the bowl has tiny waves. I put a little vaseline on the flapper and it is quiet as a mouse for another few months. The same thing happened with a new flapper as with the old one. It would seem to me that this means that the surface where the flapper seals must be uneven. Fortunately, and coincidentally, a Kohler rep told me that my circular overflow valve is too narrow and they now have a rectangular repalcement "flush valve kit" that is free from them. So, I am planning on replacing that and hoping that will fix the problem for a long time.

I am a little confused about the rim wash issue as someone (below) suggests that a different type of value works fine KWsundell below likes Fluidmaster 400A Fill Valve. You seem to think the 1b1x is the only appropriate repalcement if you want the rim wash. Is that true?

My conclusion is that, whenever water somehow leaks, it is possible that, if you have modified the rim wash from the original using the 1b1x tube, you will get very noisy siphoning action back and forth leading you to believe that the problem is somewhere else than where the flapper seals. Also, this 1B1X valve seems to have a propensity to spray in random directions and, given the holes Kohler puts in the back of the tank (to hang them to dry after painting, I've been told), this is an accident waiting to happen. I covered those holes on the outside with duct tape and that seems to work.

I have two more toilets just like this but they work fine, even though the fill valve sprays in random directions on those too, but with the duct tape, it is not an issue.

Comments solicited. Thanks all.

sam02135

Reaction score
Rialto .. fill valve/flush valve

I purchased two Rialto for my rental units. Had an issue with one where the fill valve would not stop and the suggestion from Kohler was to use vasaline, clean the valve etc. Crap (no pun intended)! Kholer is pissing (no pun intended again) me off with their answers: you have to buy a fill valve from us for the Rialto, etc.. BS! The fluidmaster replacement ($10) works perfect! It doesn't cost me $90 for the part which would be 1/3 the cost of the toilet. Kholer acts as if they're Apple Computers.. buy the part from us that you have to.

As for the flush valve, well . the problem is that these toilets 2005 never flushed that well because it's a rim flushing bowl mechanism. I'm trying to get more water in the tank on the Rialto to get a better flush but their flush valve is unique. Any suggestions for replacement flush valve?

donnjen

Reaction score
Partly because of the color, partly because I like to try to DIM, and in order to try to keep it from the landfill, I've been trying to get our Rialto 3402 to work again. Before coming upon your excellent website, I bought and installed, unfortunately, the conversion kit from Kohler (I'd replaced the fill tube with a Fluidmaster years ago without realizing it had no outlet for the rim holes). On flushing, nothing came out the rim holes (I've cleared them out with a paperclip and vinegar and a few do let water out when I pour it through the plastic tubing). I've replaced the water supply from underneath the tank to the wall as well. In the process of checking the tank, the "fill valve diverter/fill valve float" (the black attachment that the rim fill tubing attaches to) snapped off (with hardly a touch!). I"m out $120+ - should I see if Kohler will return my $$$? I see the fill valve diverter is available for under $10 elsewhere so if they don't at least replace that piece I could try taht option. On the other hand, am I throwing good money after bad to keep trying? Since I moved the toilet to a different bathroom than where it was first installed, it only fits up against the back wall. Will that be a problem with the infamous 4 holes on the back of the tank?

Thanks for any help you can offer on these numerous questions.

KenS999

Reaction score
Turned Into An Easy Fix

I replaced the original fill valve in a Kohler Rialto 3402 with a 7 dollar Fluidmaster 400A from Walmart. A suprisingly easy job, as I am definitely not a plumber. I simply trimmed a few inches off the supplied thin black overflow hose and tucked it inside the original large diameter hose that supplies the rim rinse for the bowl. The new flush valve works just fine, and turned out to be an inexpensive and easy repair.

Thanks,
Ken

DurtyHairy

Reaction score
I just replaced a coast 1b1x with the Plumb Pak PB830-13L Item #246711 from Lowes marked as a Coast ballcock 1B1X replacement that is identical to the one pictured in post 45. It was an easy fit and came with the rim supply hose that fit a nipple in the bowl inlet to the rim flush. It works fine. This tank may not even be a Kohler though it looks like one but has no lettering behind the seat and no numbers in the tank. The original slow fill and flushing problems also went away when I opened the angle stop which had probably been half closed to deal with the hissing.

CoastProductsUSA

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.coastproductsonline.com
Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 3.42.21 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 3.41.59 PM.jpg

Purchase direct from Coast Products USA, formerly Coast Foundry and Mfg. We have over 112 variations in Flush and Fill Valves, and can build basically anything you like!
Also ask about our Plumber Direct Pricing, for Industry Professionals.

coast-12b-1x.jpg

http://www.coastproductsonline.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Asiangem

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have a Kohler Rialto K-3402 PB from the early 1980s and had a plumber in and was told parts are no longer available to completely rebuild of the unit. Does anyone know if this is correct ? If not, can you advise on what parts are needed and where they can be purchased.

Jerry K

I have four Kohler Rialto K-3402 PB which were purchased in 1983 for a rental duplex unit. The fill valve was replaced with a Fluidmaster 400 series and works fine on all four Rialtos. I have a round, black flush valve (sorry I can't see the manufacturer name on it) which has a Korky Flapper No 58BP. These are working perfectly fine, with no leaks, no sounds or hisses even with the fact that tenants use them.

Asiangem

Reaction score
pwjone1 (Paul Jones) - WOW...thank you for the summary of this thread for the Kohler Rialto Model K3402 - see pwjone1 (Paul Jones) summary of all the suggested parts to use for the K3402 -- took some time to put together since there has been so much written.

Last edited:

wlfhnd66

Reaction score
I want to thank Ken and other members of this forum for pointing the way. I have a sky blue Kohler Rialto 3402 that was installed in 1987. I had many years of trouble free use but like all things the inside of the tank wore out. I was looking to replace the fill valve that would not stop. I looked for a replacement but I was a little shocked at the price for this item and I was not willing to pay $90 something for it. After I read some of these posts, I bought the Fluidmaster 400A from Walmart for less than $7 and a Fluidmaster universal flapper for $5 to replace the original that had just about disintegrated. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the Fluidmaster 400A is to install. I just made sure that I read the instructions and understood what had to be done. The only problem now is that the fill valve goes off occasionally for a few seconds but Fluidmaster says that I should make sure the flapper seals drainage opening of the flush valve. I am working on that.

Gregg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the Fluidmaster refill tube is pointing too far down the overflow tube, it will siphon water from the tank, causing constant refills.

steveshrews

Reaction score
Inexpensive and easy K3402 replacement

I just used the Coast ballcock 1B1X kit from Lowes - in stock at the store. PP830-13L, item # 246711. It cost around $10. I also bought 1 foot of plastic hose with a 1/2 inch ID and 5/8 OD. You'll only need 8 or 9 inches, but 1 foot is the shortest length they will cut.
This looks different from the original, in that the separate diverter mechanism is not there, both the tank and bowl shutoffs are together in the upper housing controlled by the main float. The bowl is filled from the plastic arm with the 90 degree bend.
At least in my case the hose going to feed the bowl was too wide to fit the nipple on the bend. There wasn't enough room to use an adapter for the different sizes. Unlike the recommendation in the earlier post (#45 where I got this picture), I was uncomfortable cutting the original hose inside the toilet. That's where the new hose comes in. It fits inside the existing hose and also onto the nipple.
I put the new hose into the existing one as far as it would go, marked the length removed it and cut off the excess. The right angle bend goes in and out of the main housing easily. I removed it and put it on the new hose, then put the new hose back into the old one. I installed the main valve assembly in the toilet, then put the right angle tube back in. It might be easier to put the tube on first, but this was just the way I did it because I got ahead of myself (I'm an amateur, OK!). The new 1/2 inch tube might have to back out of the old one by an inch or so to fit, but that's OK.
The first time you flush, the bowl will probably not fill completely. The large screw on the tank fill pipe controls the flow of water. If you tighten it, the tank will fill slower and the valve will stay open for the bowl longer. Just some simple trial and error to get it set correctly so the bowl fills fully.
coast_1b1x.jpg

Khinanight

Reaction score
After all these years....why does everyone still want to keep the Rialto around when there are so many better flushing toilets around? Toto has the round Ultramax MS853113E that uses less water and is more efficient in waste removal. Its taller but If you must have a low-boy then choose the MS863113E.

Pwjone1

Engineer
Reaction score
After all these years....why does everyone still want to keep the Rialto around when there are so many better flushing toilets around? Toto has the round Ultramax MS853113E that uses less water and is more efficient in waste removal. Its taller but If you must have a low-boy then choose the MS863113E.

The simple answer for me is that the Kohler Rialto toilets came in colors, and the colors are very difficult to match with the existing tub, sinks, and tile. So I keep nursing them along until I do a bathroom re-do. Could pretty easily plop in a white toilet, but it wouldn't look right (we have one grey, one pink, one raspberry (sort of a dark red, burgundy-purple). Had a talk with the local Kohler dealer, did not seem we could even custom order one. Lesson learned, from here on in buy white.

I recently stumbled across this thread again, as I was having trouble with one of the Rialtos that I rebuilt with a Cesco Brass Ballcock:

http://www.cescobrass.com/Model16ak.cfm

16ak_new.jpg

and a Kohler Flush Valve kit:

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp?partNumber=83650

The water was running, wasn't shutting off. Poked around, and it appears that the Kohler Flush Valve washer is disintegrating, it's a $3 part:

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp?partNumber=53410

so I'll probably replace it shortly, but had other projects, so for now tightened down on the screws for the lugs (I could tell there was some problems because one was loose to essentially finger touch), seems to be OK for now. Would have hoped for a little more life out of the Kohler replacement part, but oh well.

I'm pretty happy with the Cesco Brass ballcock as a replacement for the Kohler part, the diverter valve was a bit tricky so I just stuck with the old Kohler one, and the unit has performed fine, at least so far. It is a bit slower/quieter than the Kohler replacement part (which I have in another of the toilets).

Beekeeper2020

Reaction score
The simple answer for me is that the Kohler Rialto toilets came in colors, and the colors are very difficult to match with the existing tub, sinks, and tile. So I keep nursing them along until I do a bathroom re-do. Could pretty easily plop in a white toilet, but it wouldn't look right (we have one grey, one pink, one raspberry (sort of a dark red, burgundy-purple). Had a talk with the local Kohler dealer, did not seem we could even custom order one. Lesson learned, from here on in buy white.

I recently stumbled across this thread again, as I was having trouble with one of the Rialtos that I rebuilt with a Cesco Brass Ballcock:

http://www.cescobrass.com/Model16ak.cfm

16ak_new.jpg

and a Kohler Flush Valve kit:

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp?partNumber=83650

The water was running, wasn't shutting off. Poked around, and it appears that the Kohler Flush Valve washer is disintegrating, it's a $3 part:

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp?partNumber=53410

so I'll probably replace it shortly, but had other projects, so for now tightened down on the screws for the lugs (I could tell there was some problems because one was loose to essentially finger touch), seems to be OK for now. Would have hoped for a little more life out of the Kohler replacement part, but oh well.

I'm pretty happy with the Cesco Brass ballcock as a replacement for the Kohler part, the diverter valve was a bit tricky so I just stuck with the old Kohler one, and the unit has performed fine, at least so far. It is a bit slower/quieter than the Kohler replacement part (which I have in another of the toilets).

Beekeeper2020

Reaction score
We have a couple people claimed that A Fluid Master or Korky Flush Valve can be use to replaced the 1B1X SHEATH BALLCOCK valve.
I called both of the support, they do not recommend it using it because there is not enough room.

So, the people who claimed they done it, please show a picture to prove that you have really done it and have no issue putting the Lid back.

Thank you.

Reaction score
If you look at the above images, the Fluidmaster 400 MODEL ANTI-SIPHON fits perfectly. With room to spare at the top. At least an inch and a half. And the fill hose is simply inserted into the rim fill cavity. What is all the fuss about, I have no idea?! :confused: If I did not know any better, the Fluidmaster seems to work just as good as the original Kohler fill valve. If not better. :) That includes the rim fill function. Do not forget the price difference either! $10 Fluidmaster versus $60 Kohler. When every dollar counts! ;)

Taser_This

Reaction score
Use the Cesco Brass flush valve. They are completely rebuildable. Spare parts available are the nylon seats, seal balls, plunger, plunger cup seals, with these parts being reasonable cost. These parts can be replaced while the fill valve is in the tank. Turn off the water before disassembling the float mechanism to access the plunger for a rebuild - the plungers are not captured.

Of those flappers I have tried on the updated rectangular flush valve I have, only the Kohler GP83064 flapper has worked reliably. This for me made the difference between the flapper sealing or not. It was a lot of trial and error to understand this, and I have no idea while other flappers have not worked reliably. I keep spare flappers around, spare flush valve tank-to-valve seal rings, a spare diverter valve, and spare parts for the Cesco brass fill valve. I also keep a spare Cesco brass fill valve around.

Once I went this route, I usually get good operation for about five years on units that are used frequently. If a problem arises, I go into my box of spares and replace the part(s) that are creating the issue, and it usually resets the clock.

djglover7

Reaction score
If you look at the above images, the Fluidmaster 400 MODEL ANTI-SIPHON fits perfectly. With room to spare at the top. At least an inch and a half. And the fill hose is simply inserted into the rim fill cavity. What is all the fuss about, I have no idea?! :confused: If I did not know any better, the Fluidmaster seems to work just as good as the original Kohler fill valve. If not better. :) That includes the rim fill function. Do not forget the price difference either! $10 Fluidmaster versus $60 Kohler. When every dollar counts! ;)

I am glad I found this site.

And yes, the Fluidmaster 400A works PERFECT for the Kohler Rialto K-3402. Put it in it's lowest riser position and dial the float down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks