Spider

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
In the basement, behind a piece of drywall, behind the toilet, lives a very dark black spider. He is fat legged, not skinny, and I can't see the underside of him/her. I only see this spider once in a while, and only at night. It is fast. I try to get it and it runs back under the drywall.

Then, over by the door leading to the garage, I noticed another one that looked the same, only a smaller version. Again, by the time I got something, and started near it, he ran into the garage. By the time, I got the door open I could not find it.

What kind of spider does this sound like?

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
How big is he/she? dime, quarter, half dollar, silver dollar, dinner plate? :)

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Are you trying to get rid of it? I would reach for a can of Raid. If no Raid in the house, try a flyswatter or rolled up newspaper. Then a whisk broom and dustpan will finish the job.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If he is black and extremely fast it may be a wolf spider.

We have some called wood spiders that I have seen that were as big around at the legs as the palm of my hand with a body as big as my thumb.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Our Wolf spiders here are brown, but are like Cass described. They can jump, run like hell and will creep out all the women I know.

The neat part is they hold still while you take a broom and spear them with the bristles, then their legs curl up and they look surprisingly small and dead of coarse.

They are harmless as far as I can tell, but you will never convince my wife of that.

We bomb the house twice a year when these guys start to migrate into the house along with about 600 different varieties. Having property with a lot Oak trees just seems to multiply the amount spiders you have.

Then there is the Banana spiders that are multicolored, somewhat bigger than the Wolf spider that build this hugh web that...

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Just so you know Cookie, spiders are very hard to kill with ordinary bug spray. Get the Wasp and Hornet spray. The stuff that shoots a long stream. It will kell them if you get them wet with it. The other stuff don't even make them mad.

bob...

doughboy63

Reaction score
We had similar spiders in our basement at our last place. There is a product called home defense or perimeter defense that your can pick up at the big box. You just spray the perimeter inside and out of your home and it stops just about everything dead for a couple months. It is safe for kids and pets once it is dry too. Our front stoop was always covered with dead beetles and the basement had dead "cats" (spiders)as my wife calls them. You could just soak that area behind the toilet and probably never see him again.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Be glad your not the Fly. That was a kinda freeky movie when I first saw it. I was very young and I think that was what made me a spider murderer.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are going to hit him with bug spray, you have to see him and be a good shot.

Go to a farm supply and get a bottle of 38% permethrin. The brand I got is Hi-Yield. Add about 1 tsp to a quart of water and paint it on surfaces that are traveled by ants, spiders, and other things you want to kill.

I had ants on my deck; not enough to eat it but enough that I wanted them gone. I painted all around the edge with my permethrin solution, and extra on railing posts. The next day I coundted three dead ants and a dead spider, and assume that others dropped off. There were also slow-moving ones that were obviously not long for this world.

Now, no more ants.

The stuff is a persistent (long lasting) emulsion that will survive some rain.

It is "human safe" if you don't eat it. The military uses it to treat clothes and mosquito nets.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Unknown to you Wolfgang used you as a pawn to do his work.

He watched as you left to go to VA knowing you would talk to this man and that you would come back and capture him. Weren't you suprised how easy it was?

Now outside he will round up all his other gorilla fighters that have been waiting and lead them on an assault of your home when you least expect it.

You have fallen into his web of deceit. :)

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Cookie not sure how averse you are to the chemical solution in the future but there is a Spider and Scorpion spray they sell (Orange colored can) that will kill these things flat, and when put in spcaes favored by spiders will keep them away for up to 3 months. That being said, it obviously leaves a residue behind. Being how strong a concetration it usually takes to kill off a spider it is probably a relatively high concentration of residue. I had a issue with Black Widows on my porch a while back and I put enough of that stuff out that it was probably more dangerous than the spiders where for my children. Of course depending on where you are, they may not be an issue for you. I see them frequently (luckily generally not near my house) so I have learned to kill any black looking spider first and ask questions later.

dave007

Reaction score
If you really want to catch it, I would use
flat 'sticky glue traps'. These are more of less
flat pieces of cardboard with sticky glue.
Anything that touches its will stick (at least in theory).

I use em to catch crickets that somehow get into the house.
And i actually caught a mouse on one a few years ago.
I have caught spiders on them. Big ones and small ones.

I've bought them at dollars stores.
I have seen places that sell quart/gallon cans of just the glue.

You might also be able to use those
transparent shipping packet envelopes
from fedex, ups etc. Peel off the back,
turn them sticky side up and lay them on the floor.
One covers maybe 8x6 inch area.
Put a few along the baseboard.

Of course if you have pets......keep them away from
all of this sheit.

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Cookie, you really need to consider staying in the house and never leaving it. I think after a day like that, I would go on a drinking binge that would make my college days look like a church picnic.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Cookie, the spider tale is a marvelous Chapter 16. I think it's especially great because of the happy ending, assuming Wolfgang didn't ultimately succumb to his bath of Spider-B-Gone.

When we first moved here, Bettie was terrified of the big banana spiders that were all over the place, both in and out. The house was built such that the interior living space was essentially open to the attic, which was of course open to spiders, so we had bunches of these monsters around.

To make a long story short, we learned to live with them while we were making it more difficult for them to get inside, and in general learned to live with all the fauna around here. There's a huge golden orb spider that makes her web right outside the dining room window, and it's positively beautiful in the morning sun with dew on it. We've got snakes in the yard (and evidence of them in the attic as well), but we've determined they're harmless. And, because of them (probably), we don't have rats or mice, afaik.

As part of the remodel, I installed a central vacuum system, which is the world's greatest spider snatcher. We no longer allow them inside.

We do worry some about the venomous critters -- the recluse and widow spiders, and the cottonmouth/moccasin snakes. But it's mostly Semper Vigilis where they're concerned, augmented by a small sidearm when I'm working in the water along the shoreline :) . Rattlesnakes are native here as well, but I've never seen one. So far, so good.

Prashster

Reaction score
My gosh! Talk about analysis paralysis! I think old Spidey must've died from old age by now. Just zap him with Raid. When he's squirrelling and dancing around trying to get it off himself, step on him.

IMHO, perimeter defense is only good if you only have a mild problem. If you have ants or anything more invasive, then you gotta get Medieval.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Here's a spider I saw in India last year. He was quite a few inches accross!

Attachments

• PA230136.JPG
    PA230136.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 667

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
He was most likely a she. Could have been a golden orb spider (Nephila clavipes) like we've got -- they're all over the world, and incidentally produce one of the strongest spider silks known.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks