Cutting vertical cast iron stack...

Users who are viewing this thread

Coach606

Reaction score
Just planning here. I will eventually run a 3" drain line to a vertical cast iron stack in the basement. The basement stack has cast iron plumbing above it for a bathroom and the goes through the roof. This plumbing is well supported, but I plan on providing more support before cutting the stack.

After making sure there is tons of support for any pipes above, I'm going to build a soffit around the C.I. stack and attach riser clamps to it above an below the cut.

I'll then cut a section of pipe out using snap cutters. My plan is to use a no hub wye fitting 3 x 3 x 3 and fit it into a street 45 to head vertical and pick up the dwv. Or is it better to just use a 3 x 3 x 3 pvc fitting with two no hub adapters?

Any problems with doing it this way? I know things can go wrong, but I assume that if I properly support all the pipes I can use a no hub fitting to connect pvc to my cast iron.

Or do I need to consider getting a cast iron wye fitting, pounding in oakum and then sealing over it with liquid lead?

thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
coach606 said:
Or do I need to consider getting a cast iron wye fitting, pounding in oakum and then sealing over it with liquid lead?

If I had nothing better to do, I might try this...just to see what it is like. Completely unecssary though.

If noise is an issue, I would do hubless CI or PVC if it is not.

Jason

Coach606

Reaction score
noise isn't an issue...

Noise isn't an issue so I guess I'll just go with the pvc and banded couplers.

Can anyone explain the hubless cast iron? I'm not sure I understand how it works, unless it just sits on the hub of two banded couplings.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
coach606 said:

A fun job, especially making the molten lead run uphill to seal the lower bell on the wye fitting.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
coach606 said:
Noise isn't an issue so I guess I'll just go with the pvc and banded couplers.

Can anyone explain the hubless cast iron? I'm not sure I understand how it works, unless it just sits on the hub of two banded couplings.

The stainless steel banded rubber/neoprene/whatever couplers are the essentially a two-ended hub. You insert both pieces of pipe into the connector/coupler. (They are just butted up together--one pipe does not enter into the other). After you crank down on the bands, it pulls it alltogether inline and forms a leakproof rigid connection.

Jason

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Lakee911 said:
How do you do that?

Ask an old plumber, I guess. I remember watching my father when we built our house back in ought-50, but I don't remember the details. As I recall, there was a rope-like thing wrapped around the lower pipe that allowed you to pour a ring of lead in the general area, then it was tamped upward with a kind of offset chisel-thingy called a caulking iron or packing iron. All the lead does is hold the oakum in place, so it doesn't have to be pretty -- just tight.

Bud1300

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Mikey said:
Ask an old plumber, I guess. I remember watching my father when we built our house back in ought-50, but I don't remember the details. As I recall, there was a rope-like thing wrapped around the lower pipe that allowed you to pour a ring of lead in the general area, then it was tamped upward with a kind of offset chisel-thingy called a caulking iron or packing iron. All the lead does is hold the oakum in place, so it doesn't have to be pretty -- just tight.
You install 1 inch of okum and pack it with a packing iron then you install a joint runner and pour your lead then you us a inside caulking iron then a outside caulking iron to complete the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks