Clogged drain pipe from shower--about to spend some money, please advise

Users who are viewing this thread

milillo99

Reaction score
Hey, brand new to these forums. My shower tub has been getting backed up. So, I took apart the drain assembly and saw that it was clear. I removed the gooseneck below the floor coming from my bath drain and tried to snake it. I have about a 4 foot drain pipe and a 90 degree elbow into another 4 foot section and out to the main drain where it meets me kitchen draining. It is metal pipe. I can't get the snake past the elbow.

I called a plumber and he came to take a look. He suggested changing the metal pipe sections out with PVC pipe up to the point that it joins the other drain pipes. This will cost 370 dollars plus tax. He said if they clear the clog without changing the pipes it will just be a temporary fix. I didn't find out how much it would be to just clear the clog though. I just have a couple of questions..

1. Is this expensive to convert to the PVC? 370 seems like a lot of money.

2. would you guys advise against just having it cleared out or upgrade to the PVC pipes? The only reason I didn't have him change it yet is because he didn't have enough PVC pipe to do the job and he will be returning tommorrow morning to do it. I would hate to spend the money if I don't have to. I would attempt this myself, but I am very busy this week and I don't have the time to learn this from a book and do the job, I just have too much going on right now.

What would you guys suggest? thanks so much for your time

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What did he think might be failing in the existing drain and causing the problem? Apparently this has work well for some time, so there must be something going or gone bad to require a change. As far as the price is concerned, I think it's pretty reasonable.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the plumber doesn't have an electric drain snake.

He might be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Not seeing what you have, just in general, that drain could be cleaned for a whole lot less than $370.00

Probably could clean it without taking the trap apart.

milillo99

Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
What did he think might be failing in the existing drain and causing the problem? Apparently this has work well for some time, so there must be something going or gone bad to require a change. As far as the price is concerned, I think it's pretty reasonable.

Well, he said the pipe is probably failing from rust or buildup. And cleaning it out would just be a temporary fix. The kitchen and the bathroom sinks are draining properly, so he said the clog has to be in that section.

He didn't try to snake it or even touch anything actually. Just said it was an old pipe and that is what happens.

thoughts?

milillo99

Reaction score
plumber1 said:
Sounds to me like the plumber doesn't have an electric drain snake.

He might be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Not seeing what you have, just in general, that drain could be cleaned for a whole lot less than $370.00

Probably could clean it without taking the trap apart.

really? do you think I should just have him clean it out instead? What do plumbers typically charge for such a service?

thanks for the suggestions

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
he is right about having to do it again. The pipe is galvanized and will clog again I would just replace it with PVC and have a great flowing, worry free drain. As far as price it is hard to say as prices can vary due to your local market and difficulty of the job.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Depends what he uses to clean that type of drain.
If it's a bath tub drain, a cleaning with proper equipment should be good for a lot of years.

Not eyeballing it, I would guess the neighborhood of $100.00

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
plumber 1

$100 won't do it in my area , marin co ca. we don't have His location.

R Rtr.charges $125 per hr. here :rolleyes:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I'd give Him the go ahead on replacing the run

I've been taught , it's the smart way to go on old galvy pipe that just loves to slime up. His idea on this tells me his competent, and I don't think His price is out of line. good luck Tool

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Plumber?

IF he did not even try to clean the pipe, then he is an opportunist who is only interested in creating the maximum bill from your problem. I work with many galvanized drains and rarely, rarely, rarely have to replace the pipe. Get a different plumber and have the line snaked.

milillo99

Reaction score
toolaholic said:
I've been taught , it's the smart way to go on old galvy pipe that just loves to slime up. His idea on this tells me his competent, and I don't think His price is out of line. good luck Tool

I decided to have it changed. I called the place and they wanted like 200 to clean it out, which I guess from reading the above posts is a lot. At least it's new now and should be trouble free. I live in NY.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everybody. If I had more time and wasn't so busy this week, I may have tried it myself, but right now spending the money is a better deal than the time.

thanks again

milillo99

Reaction score
hj said:
IF he did not even try to clean the pipe, then he is an opportunist who is only interested in creating the maximum bill from your problem. I work with many galvanized drains and rarely, rarely, rarely have to replace the pipe. Get a different plumber and have the line snaked.

probably so, thanks for the tip. I just needed it done. Now I know for the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks