bath remodel plumbing dilemma. STUCK.

Users who are viewing this thread

kat-diy

Reaction score
Hi, new here, found you through the John Bridge tile forums.

We are remodeling our 1960's bathroom and have come to the point of putting in the fixtures in the bath/shower. We decided on a bit wider bathtub and that has worked up til now.

I dont know how best to explain this except to show you a picture. There is a HUGE pipe in the way of getting the valve body and our water feeds hooked up. We tried to put the elbow on that you see in the picture, but that didnt help at all, we are still about an inch off the center mark to line up with the drain.

plumbingproblem1.jpg

Anyone have any ideas of a work around for this? Any input appreciated!

Kat

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can cut the pipe and reroute it around that spot with PVC. That is your vent for the tub, do not eliminate it. Bring it further over to the left and then use 45 degree fittings to get back over under the valve

Looking at the copper cap on the supply line you need to heat the fittings more. That one is fine for now but you need to do a better job doing the rest or you may end up with leaks down the road.

kat-diy

Reaction score
Thanks for your speedy reply Cass!

We thought of that but do not know how to tie the plastic into the cut pipe after we cut it. How do we do that?? Thought it had to be threaded to connect the plastic to it??

Thanks for the tip about the cap. That's just temporary so we could turn the water back on last night!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You use a banded coupling. You can get them at big box stores and plumbing supply house. It is a rubber connection covered by a smooth stainless steel band with a hose clamp on either end. Do not use the ones with a corrogated stainless steel band, only smooth or the all rubber ones. H*** D**** in my area does not cary them. L**** does.

kat-diy

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks, got it!

Where exactly would you start the cut and the slope downwards?

Just want to say a huge thanks to all of the professionals and experienced people out there who take the time to help us weekend DIYers. Its impressive and much appreciated. :)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would cut the pipe 3" from the fitting on the right, I cant tell what it is, then you will have to figure out where the 90 needs to go and then come down over and down with 2 - 45s and that is where you will have to cut the pipe (vent) again below the valve to tie back in to the vent.

kat-diy

Reaction score
Thanks!! We're off to L***** to get what we need. We were totally stuck with only a few days of vacation left to work on this and didnt know which way to turn. You're a life saver!!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You will need 2 - 1.5" banded couplings 1- PVC 90, 2-PVC 45s and PVC pipe all 1.5"

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connectors

You can use the corrugated connectors. Do not use the all rubber ones. But your problem might be solved with a 1/2" male copper adapter ell, instead of the male adapter and regular elbow. Even a street ell into your male adapter would take up less room.

Last edited:

kat-diy

Reaction score
1/2" male copper adapter ell

Is this just a one piece unit that comes out, or is it still two pieces? We looked for something copper that would come out and then elbow but could not find it.

We are within about a quarter inch now, without cutting into the vent pipe. If we could find a one piece copper that would come out and ell we'd be right on the money. Would a quarter inch off be noticeable or do you think you couldn't even tell?

We bought the stuff to use if we cut into the vent pipe but if we can get this without doing that we'd be really happy.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I keep looking at that galv. pipe and it looks like 11/4" pipe.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks