Toilet, shower overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

bgmike202

Reaction score
Please help....

I have a 3/2 ranch style. Bathroom #2 is fine. Master bath toilet and shower overflows when you turn on the vanity sink. I snaked under the toilet and shower, but nothing. the sewege line to the house is fine because bath# 2, kitchen and washroom flow just fine..... What do I do??

bgmike202

Reaction score
So, are you saying the area to concentrate on is under the toilet? I had a 15ft. snake. I didn't know where the problem originated (sink, toilet or shower)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If all of the otherfixtures drain properly, then the clog is somewhere between the toilet and the tub and where it joins the main sewer line for the other fixtures thatdo work. How far apart are the two bathrooms? you might need s snake a little longer than that to account for the possible bends and change in elevation.

bgmike202

Reaction score
The master bath is in the back of the house and bath #2 is in front of it seperated by a wall now that I look at it. if the wall seperating the baths weren't there, the shower in the master would be a few feet next to the tub in bath#2

Now would this affect the vanity sink, because it doesn't overflow, it goes "blurp, blurp" and then makes the shower and toilet overflow.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If using the vanity sink backs up the other fixtures, wouldn't it make sense that it's not draining and it's the one that needs snaking?

Unless....................Ominous music playing .............

It could be the main line.........

Hard to say without being there.

Last edited:

bgmike202

Reaction score
Could be. A neighbor just told me I should look on the roof for a "vent stack", which should be right above the bathroom. When i looked a couple of minutes ago, I could see 2 coming out of the roof in the vicinity of the bathroom. i guess it's worth a try. I'm not very mechanically inclined as you can see.........

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The vents on the roof are not the main line, that is the main sewer line for the house. A blocked vent could cause a drain to be sucked dry, but not cause it to back up.

bgmike202

Reaction score
Is the main line what comes from the sewer through my front yard that has a square cap on it right outside my house??

BGSchatz

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, but I'm confused. If one bathroom works fine, then I wouldn't think the main line could be a problem. What happens in the bad bathroom when you flush the toilet or drain the shower? Do all three of these come together, then continue on to join the good bathroom and go out the main drain? It still sounds to me like the problem has to be between the bad bathroom and where the drain is working fine for the good bathroom.

Occasionally though, logic doesn't seem to work.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The main line comes from the street, (well, hopefully, it all goes to the main line).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks