Whirlpool spa and Plumbing codes

Users who are viewing this thread

scatkins

Reaction score
Question about plumbing codes (I'm in southern california)

I'm replacing a bathtub with a fiberglass Whirlpool spa (non-heated). I realize that it is is a good idea to provide access to the motor as well as to wet wall access covers (which of course is at opposite ends of the tub).

But my real question is ware the plumbing code requirements. I read conflicting things. Some say that access covers to these items is required. Others say that the access to the wet wall hasn't been required for years?

scatkins

Reaction score
Based on my reading of the current plumbing codes: the code is that you need access if you are using a slip joint (i.e to tie the tub tailpipe to the trap) in tub installations.

So, I guess nowdays the trend is to use ABS/PVS and use perm glue joints. So if you do that no access is needed. (Thus no-one puts in access anymore)

The Marble Guy

Cultured Marble installer /remodeler
Reaction score
Scat,
Depending on the model of tub you purchase, some come equipped with a removable skirt(panel). You can also get a cultured marble one and silicone it to the front of the tub if it is open. It is removable with a razor knife and a putty knife. I replaced a motor on a tub Friday and had the skirt off and on in 15 minutes.

Another solution is to place a return air vent in the stud space next to the motor if possible. The motor can usually fit thru the vent. It won`t hurt to have some ventilation under the tub either.

good luck

TMG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks