Basement bathroom design inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

karsc01

Reaction score
Hello all. I am planning to install an ejector pump along with a bathroom in my basement and was hoping someone could review my (currently fairly simple) layout and plan. Since nobody could answer my first question of whether it's allowable to have a floor drain in a dry basement go into an ejector pit perhaps I'll get a better answer on this one? :)...
See the drawing for details, but basically the washer/dryer are going to be on a small platform and the ejector pit under the dryer (so in an emergency I could move the dryer and get access).
Moving upstream the ejecter inlet would split in a y and one branch would go to the toilet, a vent, and then the sink (again this is moving upstream).
The other branch would go to a laundry sink, a vent, and the shower.
Possible areas of question would be if it's alright to only have a vent directly upstream of the toilet, while the next downstream one is the one on the ejector pit.
Also the house already has two other toilets going into a 3 inch pipe which goes into the cast iron outlet pipe. Would it be ok to have another bathroom going into this 3" pipe or is that too much? If it's not allowed then I'd need to have someone put a T onto the cast iron outlet to have another 3" pipe since there's only the one going into it now, and I'm not brave enough to try and do my own work on an old lead sealed cast iron pipe.
And of course my original question which nobody answered was if it's alright to have a floor drain by the washer/dryer go into the pit (with a trap of course). I've read this is not always allowed and you're supposed to have a separate sump because you're not allowed to pump ground water into a septic tank (which I have). However the basement has never flooded and I wouldn't be pumping ground water. It would just be for leaks in an emergency.
Anyway.. sorry it's so long winded. I'd appreciate any comments or advice from the experts. I've read lots of great information on here. Thanks to everyone.
On second thought.. I'd probably have the vents come vertical straight up in the walls for 8 feet and then go horizontal for the 10 feet or so needed until they meet up with the main vent stack and then through the roof. This would be the same 3" vent stack for the other 2 bathrooms so there's also a question if that's enough.
br_plumbing.jpg

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
I can't address your floor drain question.

As for your proposed layout, where are the vents for the voilet, laundry sink, and washer? For my basement bathroom, I was required to have vents for each fixture - even though one was only 3 feet from the pit.

Also, make sure you have adequate clearance by code on the sides and in front of the toilet.

Last edited:

karsc01

Reaction score
prashster said:

As for your proposed layout, where are the vents for the voilet, laundry sink, and washer? For my basement bathroom, I was required to have vents for each fixture - even though one was only 3 feet from the pit.

The bottom part of the picture should show this. The main stack to the ejector pit will split in a Y (if moving upstream) of 3" pipes I was thinking, and one branch would have the toilet, then a vent, and then the sink while the other branch would have the laundry sink, a vent, and then the shower. So the toilet would be vented immediately upstream. The sink would be vented immediately downstream after the trap. The laundry sink would be vented immediately upstream on the 3" it joins and the shower would be vented immediately downstream after the trap. The two vents would be on the 3" pipes that go into the Y. However as you mention my question is also if this would be enough. It seems like it would certainly do the job but I've read on here different things. Thanks.

karsc01

Reaction score
prashster said:

Also, make sure you have adequate clearance by code on the sides and in front of the toilet.

Oh... as you pointed out I glossed over one part. I didn't mention where the plumbing for the washer was going to go :). I was thinking of having an open pipe I could put the washer hose into in the wall that went down into the floor to a trap and then joined the main to the ejector pit downstream of everything. So it would be downstream of the 2 vents on each of the branches. I would hope this is enough :).

Prashster

Reaction score
I believe (confirm) that the toilet is the only fixture that's allowed to have an 'upstream' vent. Otherwise, all fixtures need to have the vent within a foot or two downstream of the trap. A lot of plumbers and codes dictate that it's not enough to have one vent 'per branch'; you need one 'per fixture'. Even though yr design could very well work, I'd take the time to do it by the book now when it's relatively cheap to do so.

karsc01

Reaction score
prashster said:
I believe (confirm) that the toilet is the only fixture that's allowed to have an 'upstream' vent. Otherwise, all fixtures need to have the vent within a foot or two downstream of the trap. A lot of plumbers and codes dictate that it's not enough to have one vent 'per branch'; you need one 'per fixture'. Even though yr design could very well work, I'd take the time to do it by the book now when it's relatively cheap to do so.

Hmm.. If that's the case then it sounds like I'd need to add a third vent directly downstream of the laundry sink. It wouldn't be that big a deal. I could join it with the one from the shower in the wall. However since the toilet has one upstream and that one is within a foot or two of the bathroom sink would that one be enough to service those two items? Can anyone confirm?
Thank you very much for the input.

Prashster

Reaction score
If it were me...
I'd run individual vents for the laundry sink, shower, and toilet through that dividing wall.
I'd run the vents for the washer and the bathroom sink through the back wall.

Also, how are you planning to get the dryer directly over the pit? The discharge and vents will be coming up out of the lid. I wouldn't put too many bends in the discharge.

Last edited:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
First, if you're allowed to pipe an emergency floor drain to your ejector pit is going to vary by local. Here it is ok (emergency floor drain=0 fixture units) as long as it is trapped and a trap primer is installed. Call your local building official office for verification.

As for your piping layout for the laundry and bathroom I would pretty much do the drain as you have drawn with a few changes. Remember, I'm going by IPC and this may or may not be allowed where you are.

a) going to the toilet and lav....I would run 3" up to a 3" wye and 1/8th bend. Lay this combo fitting flat and hit the toilet. Out of the end of the wye, bush it down to 2" and run that to the wall and turn up to hit the lav. Install a 2X1-1/2 tee for your lav and run the vent from there. This, , creates a horizontal wet vent for the toilet. You could include the shower on the wet vent, but it would be easier and less pipe to do it as described below. IPC Section 909

b) going to the shower AND laundry tub....run 2" over to the shared wall, turn up a 2" street 90, stack a 2" tee on top of that to arm over to your shower trap. Run the pipe up into the wall and install a 2X1-1/2 tee to arm over to your laundry tub. Vent out of the top of that for your common vent. IPC Section 908

c) washerbox/standpipe.....lay a 3" combo fitting to hit the standpipe wall, turn up 3" inside the wall (required now in Ohio, most places you can still turn up 2") Install a 3X2 tee for your standpipe, bush the top of the tee down to 2" to run the individual vent. IPC Section 907

Tie all the vents together and then tie into your existing vent stack or stack vent.

Again, this may or may not fly where you live. I just finished a medium"ish" sized commercial job and installed a portion of the underground and the venting in a very similar way with no problem.

I'd post an isometric of what I've just described, but after all this time of posting here, I still havent figured out how to do so. I'm sure its something really simple.....like that snake thats ready to bite me, but when I click "insert image it wants a URL. oh well lol

One thing I'm not so sure of is how you're going to run your local vent for the ejector pit if its sitting under an elevated deck for the dryer. The vent must rise a minimum of 6" above the flood level rim before it takes any horizontal offsets.
Good luck

ps: I didnt make Ohio go with the IPC.....I just do what they dictate! lol

Last edited:

karsc01

Reaction score
That's a great description. It sounds similar to what I was planning except with another vent for the washer. I'm not very familiar with a trap primer (though I can see the need for one and I was wondering about that) but I'll research it.
For the ejector I wasn't going to put it right under the dryer. I was going to put it as far against that wall as possible and widen that wall if needed so the vent and output come right up in the wall. Hmm.. I guess I would have to bust open the wall then if I ever needed to open it for anything such as replacing the pump...
I guess this raises another question. Would this be alright or does the ejector pit need to be easily accessible? If it's a problem then I'll just have the pipes come up in between the washer/drying about 4 feet then angle 45% over to the outlet pipe (which runs right over them along the ceiling next to the wall).
I also still have a question if it's alright to have 3 bathrooms on the same 3" outlet which ties into my main 4" cast iron (because I don't have the option of easily adding another connector on the cast iron pipe.

As for diagrams perhaps I can repay the advice :). What I do is post a picture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks