Loss of Water Pressure in New Shower Install

Users who are viewing this thread

parsonsv

Reaction score
Hi. I just installed a stand-up shower in a new bathroom. However, when I tested the shower, the water pressure was only a trickle. So, I adjusted the screws on the pipe to increase the water pressure, and I was happy to see the water flow. I left the reno that evening, and my friends all took showers without problem (2 showers). Then, the next day, the shower was no longer working (same trickle problem). Any ideas :confused:

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Most likely problem is debris at the showerhead or debris in the valve. I'll bet somewhere in the instructions for installing that valve, it recommended flushing out the lines. What brand and model did you install?
Deb
The Pipewench

parsonsv

Reaction score
About the Model

It's a Rona/Revy brand (no idea on the model number). I've been through the instructions several times, and I don't recall seeing information about flushing the lines :(

I wondered myself about debris, but I didn't solder (it's all crimp joints and plastic tube), and I can't see any place for it to plug? As of last night, the hot water is trickling, and the cold is completely off. My plan this evening is to start dismantling and see if I can find the place where the problem lies.

If you have any advice, I'd appreciate it :)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
what screws?

What/where are the "screws" you adjusted to increase pressure?

Two things to check:

1. Remove the shower head completely and turn on the water.

2. If in step one you still had only a trickle, then turn off main water valve, disassemble the internal parts of the shower valve, and stand by while someone momentarily turns the main back on.

You will now know if the problem is in the head, the valve internals, or some part of the plumbing system ahead of the valve.

parsonsv

Reaction score
Screws

The screws are located on the faucet itself, at the location of the water intakes.

Thanks for the guided steps. That's the action I was contemplating for this evening (with the exception of the shower head because I'm not getting any cold water, so that hardware is already ruled out).

Hopefully my post tomorrow will include a huge thumbs up ;)

Cheers Deb and Jimbo

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Integral Stops

"The screws are located on the faucet itself, at the location of the water intakes."

The screws that you turned should be opened all the way, CCW. They are integral stops and are used only for servicing the faucet.

parsonsv

Reaction score
Gremlins in the Shower

Ok, last night I went over to fix the shower, and it's already magically WORKING? No longer broken? Very weird. I guess I'll wait it out and see what happens in the upcoming weeks. I just find it weird, because it sounds like debris, but where could debris deposit in such a way that it would completely block cold water, and only allow a trickle of hot water through.

Thanks for all your help everyone

parsonsv

Reaction score
Spoke Too Soon

Stopped working again. Back to no cold water and only a trickle of hot water. Sigh.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Debris flakes away from the internal walls of water piping any time the water is shut off and turned back on again. It is very very easy for debris to completely shut off the flow of water to a faucet or valve. (One of the most common remedies on this forum for "I have no water out of my faucet " is "Remove and clean the aerator").
Jimbo has given you the right steps in the right order. However, since you have integral stops, you can shut the water off there and remove the workings of the valve. If this is a pressure balance valve, you could have some kind of balancing spool that is sticking or defective.
Deb
The Pipewench

parsonsv

Reaction score
Problem Fixed, finally

Well, it turned out to be a malfunctioning part. All fixed now. Thanks everyone for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks